This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Interaction of Alcohol and Other Drugs Involved in Fatal Crashes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a study of the incidence of drug use among drivers and pedestrians killed in fatal crashes in Melbourne. Australia. Overall, 42% of the study population had been drinking and 66% had used drugs other than alcohol, caffeine and nicotine.
Blood alcohol concentration was significantly related to the road users' liability for the crashes in which they were killed. However, there was no relationship between liability and use of other drugs.
Only 11% of the study population had used alcohol in combination with other drugs and individuals with zero blood alcohol levels were more than twice as likely to have used other drugs as those who had been drinking.
No drinking road users who were deemed not liable for the crashes in which they were killed had combined alcohol with use of other drugs.
The implications of these data to development of relevant countermeasures to crashes in which cannabis or medication are factors has been discussed.
CitationHendtlass, J., "Interaction of Alcohol and Other Drugs Involved in Fatal Crashes," SAE Technical Paper 860044, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860044.
- Borkenstein, R.F. Crowther, R.F. Shumate, R.D. Ziel, W.B. Zylman, R. 1964 The Role of the Drinking Driver in Traffic Accidents Department of Police Administration, Indiana University
- McLean, A.J. Holubowycz 1981 Alcohol & Risk of Accident Involvement Alcohol & Drugs & Traffic Safety 1 113 123
- Moskowitz, H. Burns, M.M. Williams, A.F. 1984 Skills Performance at Low Blood Alcohol Concentrations Report funded by the Insurance Institution for Highway Safety
- Chesher, G.B. 1985 The Interaction between Alcohol & Marijuana. A Dose Dependent Study of the Effects on Human Moods & Performance Skills Report No. C.R.40 Federal Office of Road Safety, Department of Transport Canberra
- Bailey, J.P.M. 1984 The Waikatc Hospital Road Accident Survey Vol.2. Analysis & Interpretation D.S.I.R. Report No. C.D.2352 New Zealand
- Ashton, H. 1983 Drugs 6. Driving Adverse Reaction Bulletin 98 360 363
- Linnoila, M. Seppala, T. 1985 Antidepressants and Driving Ace.Anal.Prev. 17 297 301
- Legg, N.J. Malpas. A. Scott, D.F. 1973 Effects of Tranquilisers & Hypnotics on Driving Brit. Medical Journal 1 417
- Seppala, T. Linnoila, M. Mattila, M.J. 1978 Psychomotor Skills in Depressed Outpatients treated with L-tryptophan, Doxepin of Chlorimipramine Ann.Clin.Res 10 214 221
- Cimbura, G. Warren, R.A. Bennet, R.D. Lucas, D.M. Simpson, H.M. 1980 Drugs Detected in Fatally Injured Drivers and Pedestrians in the Province of Ontario Traffic Injury Research Foundation of Canada
- Vine, J. Watson, T.R. 1982 The Incidence of Drugs & Alcohol in Road Traffic Accident Victims Department of Pharmacy, University of Sydney
- Williams, A.F. Peat, M.A. Crouch, D.J. Wells, J.K. Finkle, B.S. 1985 Drugs in Fatally Injured Young Male Drivers Public Health Reports 100 9 25
- McLean, S. Parsons, R.S. Chesterman, R.B. Dineen, R.D. Johnson, M.G. Davies, N.W. 1985 Drug. Alcohol & Road Accidents in Tasmania Report to Transport Tasmania Royal Australian College of Surgeons, University of Tasmania
- Honkannen, R. Ertama, L. Linnoila, M. Aila. A. Lukhari, I. Karlsson, M. Kiviluoto, O. Puro, M. 1980 Role of Drugs in Traffic Accidents Brit.Med.J. 281 1309 1312
- Jick, H. Hunter, J.R. Dinan, B.J. Madsen, S. Stergachis, A. 1981 Sedating Drugs & Automobile Accidents Leading to Hospitalisation A.J.P.H. 71 1399 1400
- Solarz, A. 1983 Driving Under The Influence of Drugs Other Than Alcohol Bulletin on Narcotics 34 13 22
- Hendtlass, J. 1983 Driving with Drugs in Victoria & Northern Ireland Federal Office of Road Safety, Department of Transport Canberra Report CR.28
- Hendtlass, J. 1985 Drug Involvement in Fatal Crashes in Melbourne Report No.CR.41 Federal Office of Road Safety, Department of Transport Canberra
- Macpherson, R.D. Perl, J. Starmer, G.A. Homel, J. 1984 Self-Reported Drug Usage and Crash Incidence in Breathalyzed Drivers Acc.Anal.Res 16 139 148
- Franks, H.M. Hensley, V.R. Hensley, W.J. Staraer, G.A. Teo, R.K.C. 1976 The Relationship Between Alcohol Dosage and Performance in Humans J.Stud.Alc. 37 284 297
- Chesher, G.B. Franks, H.M. Jackson, D.M. Starmer, G.A. Teo, R.K.C. 1977 Ethanol & 9 - Tetrahydrocannabinol: Interactive Effects on Human Perceptual, Cognitive & Motor Functions Med. J.Aus 1 478 481
- Seppala, T. Ninette, E. Dreyfus, K.F. 1983 Drug-Alcohol Interactions on Psychomotor Skills. Zopiclone & Flunitrazepam Pharmacology. 27 2 127 135