This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lean Mixture Operation of Hydrogen-Fueled Spark Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tests have been carried out with a hydrogen fueled four-cylinder engine to determine the susceptability of a worn engine to preignition and subsequent flashback when operating with lean mixtures, and the effect of different spark plug and ignition system characteristics on the completeness of combustion of very lean mixtures. Flashbacks occurred at equivalence ratios as low as 0.4 in an engine with combustion chamber deposits thought to approximate those in a hydrogen-fueled engine with significant wear. The completeness of combustion of very lean mixtures was found to depend only on equivalence ratio and was not influenced by any of the ignition system changes performed. This suggests that slow flame propagation rather than inadequate ignition determines the lean limit of operation.
CitationWallace, J., Segal, L., and Keffer, J., "Lean Mixture Operation of Hydrogen-Fueled Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 852119, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/852119.
- Sinclair L.A. Wallace J.S. “Lean Limit Emissions of Hydrogen-Fueled Engines” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 9 123 128 1984
- Swain M.R. Pappas J.M. Adt, R.R. Jr. “Experimental Hydrogen-Fueled Automotive Engine Design Data-Base Project” Final Report to U.S. Dept. of Energy May 1983
- Lynch F. “Turbocharging the Hydrogen-Fueled Internal Combustion Engine” Third World Hydrogen Conference Tokyo, Japan June 23-26 1980
- Lynch F. Personal Communication 13 February 1981
- deBoer P.C.T. McLean W.J. Homan H.S. “Performance and Emissions of Hydrogen Fueled Internal Combustion Engines” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 1 153 172 1976
- “Update of Hydrogen Fuel/Engine Systems Feasibility Study” Final Report to Institute for Hydrogen Systems by Engine Research and Development Laboratory University of Toronto Department of Mechanical Engineering March 1985
- Peschka W. “Liquid Hydrogen as a Vehicular Fuel - A Challenge for Cryogenic Engineering” Proc. 4th World Hydrogen Energy Conference 1053 1070 1983
- Finegold J.G. Lynch F.E. Baker N.R. Takahashi R. Bush A.F. “The UCLA Hydrogen Car: Design, Construction and Performance” SAE Paper No. 73507
- Olavson L.G. Baker N.R. Lynch F.E. Meijia L.C. “Hydrogen Fuel for Underground Mining Machinery,” SAE Paper No. 840233