This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Temperature Flammable Limits of Methanol Unleaded Gasoline Mixtures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The wider flammable limits of methanol compared to unleaded gasoline impose additional safety concerns when storing nearly neat methanol fuels. The upper flammable limit temperatures (UFLT) of various methano1/gasoline fuels were determined. An excellent correlation between the UFLT of methanol/gasoline mixtures and their dry Reid vapor pressures (RVP) was obtained. It is now possible to predict the upper temperature limit of the flammability range of methano1/unleaded gasoline fuels from a knowledge of their dry RVPs.
The lower flammable limit temperatures were also determined. A good correlation was obtained between the lower flammable limit temperature and the dry RVP.
CitationGordon, D., Murin, J., and Cruice, W., "Temperature Flammable Limits of Methanol Unleaded Gasoline Mixtures," SAE Technical Paper 852107, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/852107.
- Ohio State University Civil Engineering Department Columbus, OH 43210
- Coward H. F. Jones, G. W. Limits of Flamtnability of Gases and Vapors Bureau of Mines Bulletin 503, U. S. Government Printing Office 1952
- Flammability Data Guide on Methanol, Bulletin HE-101, Hazards Evaluation & Risk Control Services 1982
- Panzer, J. “Characteristics of Primed Methanol Fuels For Passenger Cars,” SAE no. 831687 1983
- Keller, J. L. Nakaguchi, G. M. Ware, J. C. “Methanol Fuel Modification For Highway Use: Final Report, ” U. S. Printing Office 1978
- Anderson J. E. Nichols, R. J. “Fuel Methanol Additives: Issues and Concerns,” Proc. Tenth Energy Technology Conference Washington, DC 1983
- Zabetakis, M. G. Flammability Characteristics of Combustible Gases and Vapors U. S. Department of Interior, Bureau of Mines, Bulletin 627 1965
- Murin J. L. Weller, A. E. “Prediction of the Ignition Limits of Alcohol-Hydrocarbon Mixtures,” presented at the 1983 Spring Technical Meeting of the Central States Section of the Combustion Institute Lexington, KY
- Naegli, D. W. Weatherford, W. D. Jr. Owens, E. C. “Practical Ignition Limits for Low Molecular Weight Alcohols,” presented at Spring Meeting of the Central States Section of the Combustion Institute 1984