This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ignition Delay Characteristics of Alternative Diesel Fuels: Implications on Cetane Number
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The goal of this work was to investigate the ignition characteristics of several fuels and to try to determine why the cetane number accurately predicted ignition quality of some fuels while failing for others. The measurements were made under simulated diesel engine conditions in a constant-volume combustion bomb. The fuels were some of the same fuels tested in DI and IDI diesel engines by Needham and Doyle of Ricardo. Blends of the reference fuels used for cetane number rating were also tested for comparison.
The results show that the cetane number, as currently defined, cannot provide a consistent and accurate measure of the ignition quality of fuels whose ignition characteristics depend on temperature (i.e., compression ratio) in a different manner than the reference fuels. An implication of this result is that the cold-start characteristics of a fuel cannot be determined from its cetane number if its ignition characteristics are not modeled by the reference fuels.
CitationSiebers, D., "Ignition Delay Characteristics of Alternative Diesel Fuels: Implications on Cetane Number," SAE Technical Paper 852102, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/852102.
- Glavinčevski, B. Gülder, Ö. L. Gardner, L. “Cetane Number Estimation of Diesel Fuels from Carbon Type Structural Composition,” Paper No. 841341 , SAE Fuel and Lubricants Meeting Baltimore, MD 1984
- Henein, N. A. Fragoulis, A. N. Luo, L. “Correlation between Physical Properties and Autoignition Parameters of Alternative Fuels,” Paper No. 850266 , SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI 1985
- Henein N. A. Elias, N. Y. “A Modified Cetane Scale for Low Quality Fuels,” Paper No. 780640 , SAE Passenger Car Meeting Troy MI 1978
- Needham J. R. Doyle, D. M. “The Combustion and Ignition Quality of Alternative Fuels in Light Duty Diesels,” Paper to be presented at the SAE Fuel and Lubricants Meeting Tulsa, OK 1985
- Wade W. R. Jones, C. M. “Current and Future Light Duty Diesel Engines and Their Fuels,” Paper No. 840105 , SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI 1984
- Taracha J. W. Cliffe, J. O. “The Effects of Cetane Quality on the Performance of Diesel Engines,” Paper No. 821232 , SAE Fuel and Lubricants Meeting Toronto, Ontario, Canada 1982
- ASTM Test Method D-613 “Standard Test Method for Ignition Quality of Diesel Fuels by the Cetane Method,” Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol. 05.04 — Test Methods for Rating Motor, Diesel, Aviation Fuels 1984 235 314
- Oren, D. C. Wahiduzzaman, S. Ferguson, C. R. “Diesel Combustion Bomb: Proof of Concept,” Paper No. 841358 , SAE Fuel and Lubricants Meeting Baltimore, MD 1984
- Dyer, T. M. “Characterization of One- and Two-Dimensional Homogeneous Combustion Phenomena in a Constant Volume Bomb,” SAE Transactions 88 1979 1196 1216
- Rögner, H. “Entzündung von Kolenwasserstoif-Luftgemischen durch adiabatische Verdichtung,” Zeitschrift Elektrochemie 1949 389 397
- Hum R. W. Hughes, K. J. “Combustion Characteristics of Diesel Fuels as Measured in a Constant-Volume Bomb,” SAE Quarterly Transactions 6 1 1952 25 35
- Hirst S. L. Kirsch, L. J. “The Application of a Hydrocarbon Autoignition Model in Simulating Knock and Other Engine Combustion Phenomena,” Combustion Modelling in Reciprocating Engines Mattavi J. N. Amann, C. A. 1980 193 229
- Baker, Q. A. “Expanding Diesel Engine Cetane Limits through Staged Injection,” Paper No. 830246 , SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI 1983
- Toepel, R. R. Bennethum, J. E. Herath, R. E. “Development of Detroit Diesel Allison 6V-92TA Methanol Fueled Coach Engine,” SAE Transactions 92 1983 959 975
- Henein N. A. Bolt, J. A. “Kinetic Considerations in the Autoignition and Combustion of Fuel Sprays in Swirling Air,” ASME Paper No. 72-DGP-8, Diesel and Gas Power Conference & Exhibit St Louis, MO 1972