This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Idling Rattle of Manual Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Generation mechanism and characteristics of idling rattle are systematized analytically by experiments on vehicle and digital simulation of nonlinear torsional vibration system for an inline four-cylinder four-cycle compact diesel engine.
Jumping and hysteresis of the noise level are caused by both decreasing engine torque fluctuations while engine rotating velocity increases, and clutch-disc torsional characteristics of two-staged hardening spring. An improved clutch disc with a decreased noise level of 5 dB (A) was developed clarifying the optimum combination of disc characteristics, and permitting engine rotating velocity, where jumping occurs, below idling rotating velocity.
- Satoru Ohnuma - Truck and Bus Engineering Center Mitsubishi Motors Corp. Tokyo, Japan
- Shigetaro Yahata - Truck and Bus Engineering Center Mitsubishi Motors Corp. Tokyo, Japan
- Mineichi Inagawa - Truck and Bus Engineering Center Mitsubishi Motors Corp. Tokyo, Japan
- Tsutomu Fujimoto - Truck and Bus Engineering Center Mitsubishi Motors Corp. Tokyo, Japan
CitationOhnuma, S., Yahata, S., Inagawa, M., and Fujimoto, T., "Research on Idling Rattle of Manual Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 850979, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850979.
- Sakai T. et al. “Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of Rattling Noise of Automotive Gearbox” SAE paper 810773
- Hagiwara B. Masuura T. “Analysis Technique of Unusual Noise of Transmission when Engine Idling” (in Japanese) JSAE Symposium on the Vibration and Noise problem of Power Line 1981
- Asahi S. Fuku T. Fukuda S. “Improvement of Noise and Vibration of Diesel-Passenger Car by Tuning the Clutch Torsional Characteristics” (in Japanese) JSAE 811B13 1981
- Sakai T. et al. “Analysis and Improvement of Gear Rattling Phenomena of Manual Transmission” JSAE 812B55 1981
- Hagiwara B. Analysis of Non-linear Vibration of Drive Train for Heavy Duty Vehicle” 1982
- Shinmoto T. Shigemasa M. Murakawa K. “On Sub-Transmission of New type Titan” JSAE, 811B14 1981
- Tsuda K. “Vibration of Power Train with Backlash” JSME 18 75 1951
- Iwata K. Ishitera T. “An Analysis of the Nonlinear Torsional Vibration of Power Transmission System” Toyota Technical Review 20 1 1968
- Souchi K. Furumura A. “Unusual Noise in the Drive Train of Passenger Cars” Mitsubishi Juko Giko 11 1 1974
- Nakada T. Kobayashi M. “Fluctuation of Circular Velocity in a Cycle of Four-cylinder Diesel Engine (2nd Rept.)” JSAE, 782B51 1978
- Misumi M. Kawasaki K. “Evaluation Technique of Impulsive Sound in Engine Noise” JSAE 822B51 1982
- Tajima K. ex. “Engineering of Vibration” Sangyo-Tosho, Tokyo 1976
- Kataoka M. Ohno S. Suzuki T. “Study on Rattling Noise of Automotive Manual Transmission (1st, 2nd Rept.)” JSME meeting 1983