This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Review of Parameters Affecting the Noise and Vibration in Diesel Powered Passenger Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The noise and vibration properties of diesel engines call for increased efforts in manufacturing passenger cars to achieve a level of comfort comparable to gasoline cars.
Severe problems arise at low engine speed when high compression forces give rise to vehicle body vibrations. Together with the vibration behavior at mid and high engine speed this fact demands a careful selection of engine mount position and mount properties. This selection must be made with respect to both the engine vibration excitation and to the vibration response of the vehicle body.
Noise within the vehicle is influenced by the transfer of vibration energy from the engine into the vehicle structure and its radiation into air, as well as by the noise characteristics of the engine and the sound transmission properties of the vehicle cabin. Starting from measurements of vehicle interior noise it is the aim of this paper to define reasonable limits of diesel engine noise and vibration levels on the one side and of sound and vibration transmission properties on the other side.
For this purpose vibration and noise has been studied in different vehicles, the influence of a modified suspension system on interior noise is demonstrated and limits of acoustic treatment of the firewall are presented.
CitationWinklhofer, E. and Thien, G., "A Review of Parameters Affecting the Noise and Vibration in Diesel Powered Passenger Cars," SAE Technical Paper 850966, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850966.
- Bolton-Knight, B.L. Engine Mounts: Analytical Methods to Reduce Noise and Vibration; IME-Paper C 98/71
- Nissan Motor Company European Patent Application 0090313 and 0090345 1983
- Wood, L.A. Joachim C.A. Variability of Interior Noise Levels in Passenger Cars; IME-Paper C 136/84
- Schulze-Schwering, W. Berechnung von Schallpegeln im Fahrzeuginnenraum (Calculation of sound levels in the passenger compartment of vehicles); VDI-Berichte Nr. 499 1983
- Dödlbacher, G. Rericha, I. Anwendung der Modalanalyse im Fahrzeugbau (Application of modal analysis in vehicle construction) ATZ 82 1980 11 589
- Thien, G.E. Brandl, F.K. Kirchweger, K. Winklhofer, E. Cars with Closed Engine Compartment - Effect Upon Exterior Noise and Passenger Comfort; IME-Paper C 133/84
- Affenzeller, J. Thien, G.E. Evaluating Engine Design for Low Noise Using Dynamic Structural Modelling SAE-Paper 820435
- Thien, G.E. Geräuschquellen am Dieselmotor (Sources of noise in the diesel engine); VDI-Berichte Nr. 499 1983
- Herzog, P. Response of a High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine to Spray Hole Diameters and Pumping Rates June 1985 Oslo