This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flight Testing a Liquid Ice Protection System on a Single-Engine Airplane
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A fluid depressant ice protection system has been installed on a Cessna 206 airplane. The system exudes an ethylene glycol solution over the leading edges of the wings, empennage, and lift struts. A slinger ring is used to distribute fluid to the propeller. The windshield is de-iced with a glycol spraybar. The system adds about thirty pounds to the empty weight of the airplane.
Installation of ice protection equipment on a fixed-gear, single-engine airplane presents some unique instrumentation problems since probes must avoid the residual glycol spray from the propeller. Satisfactory anti-icing performance has been demonstrated within the FAR 25, Appendix C continuous maximum and intermittent maximum envelopes during flights in natural icing conditions.
|Technical Paper||Flight Evaluation of an Insect Contamination Protection System for Laminar Flow Wings|
|Technical Paper||Capitalizing on the Increased Flexibility that Comes from High Power Density Electrothermal Deicing|
CitationNewman, R., "Flight Testing a Liquid Ice Protection System on a Single-Engine Airplane," SAE Technical Paper 850923, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850923.
- Herrington R. M., Schoemacher P. E., et al., FLIGHT TEST ENGINEERING HANDBOOK, AF-TR-6273, May 1951; Revised January 1966; AD-A-636392
- FLIGHT TEST REPORT GUIDE, FAA Form 8110-11, Special Appendix to CAM 3, May 1969;
- Gollings D. H. and Newton D. W., A SIMPLIFED CRITERION TO CERTIFY LIGHT AIRCRAFT FOR FLIGHT IN ICING CONDITIONS, SAE Paper No. 740349, April 1974
- INSTRUCTION MANUAL J-W LWC LIQUID-WATER-CONTENT INDICATOR, MODEL LWH, Johnson-Williams, Inc, Mountain View, California, Document 61WCO-0621, n. d.
- Dorsch R. G., Saper P. G., and Kadow C. F., IMPINGEMENT OF WATER DROPLETS ON A SPHERE, NACA TN-3587, November 1955
- Bowden D. T., Genemer A. E., and Skeen C. A., ENGINEERING SUMMARY OF AIRFRAME ICING TECHNICAL DATA, FAA Report ADS-4, December 1963
- APPENDIX C to Federal Aviation Regulations Part 25
- Albright A. E., EXPERIMENTAL AND ANALYTICAL INVESTIGATION OF A FREEZING POINT DEPRESSANT FLUID ICE PROTECTION SYSTEM, NASA-CR-174758, September 1984