This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flight Testing a Liquid Ice Protection System on a Single-Engine Airplane
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A fluid depressant ice protection system has been installed on a Cessna 206 airplane. The system exudes an ethylene glycol solution over the leading edges of the wings, empennage, and lift struts. A slinger ring is used to distribute fluid to the propeller. The windshield is de-iced with a glycol spraybar. The system adds about thirty pounds to the empty weight of the airplane.
Installation of ice protection equipment on a fixed-gear, single-engine airplane presents some unique instrumentation problems since probes must avoid the residual glycol spray from the propeller. Satisfactory anti-icing performance has been demonstrated within the FAR 25, Appendix C continuous maximum and intermittent maximum envelopes during flights in natural icing conditions.
|Technical Paper||Flight Evaluation of an Insect Contamination Protection System for Laminar Flow Wings|
|Technical Paper||Capitalizing on the Increased Flexibility that Comes from High Power Density Electrothermal Deicing|
CitationNewman, R., "Flight Testing a Liquid Ice Protection System on a Single-Engine Airplane," SAE Technical Paper 850923, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850923.
- Herrington R. M. Schoemacher P. E. et al. FLIGHT TEST ENGINEERING HANDBOOK May 1951 January 1966
- FLIGHT TEST REPORT GUIDE May 1969
- Gollings D. H. Newton D. W. A SIMPLIFED CRITERION TO CERTIFY LIGHT AIRCRAFT FOR FLIGHT IN ICING CONDITIONS SAE Paper No. 740349 April 1974
- INSTRUCTION MANUAL J-W LWC LIQUID-WATER-CONTENT INDICATOR, MODEL LWH Johnson-Williams, Inc Mountain View, California
- Dorsch R. G. Saper P. G. Kadow C. F. IMPINGEMENT OF WATER DROPLETS ON A SPHERE November 1955
- Bowden D. T. Genemer A. E. Skeen C. A. ENGINEERING SUMMARY OF AIRFRAME ICING TECHNICAL DATA FAA Report ADS-4 December 1963
- APPENDIX C to Federal Aviation Regulations Part 25
- Albright A. E. EXPERIMENTAL AND ANALYTICAL INVESTIGATION OF A FREEZING POINT DEPRESSANT FLUID ICE PROTECTION SYSTEM September 1984