This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Noise Transmission Characteristics of Aircraft-Type Composite Panels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The noise transmission loss characteristics of 28 flat, fiber reinforced, composite panels and 4 aluminum panels, with dimensions of 24.1 cm by 40.6 cm, have been experimentally investigated in the NASA Langley Research Center noise transmission loss apparatus. To support the acoustic data, modal frequencies and modal damping for several mode shapes of each of the test panels were extracted experimentally, using impulse testing with a Computer Aided Test system. It was determined that the modal frequencies and damping ratios are affected by the fiber orientation in the composite panel. The transmission loss of composite panels is compared with that of aluminum panels of equal critical shear load. The effects of applying structural foam and damping material are indicated.
CitationMetcalf, V. and Grosveld, F., "Noise Transmission Characteristics of Aircraft-Type Composite Panels," SAE Technical Paper 850878, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850878.
- Roussos, L. A. Powell, C. A. Grosveld, F. W. Koval, L. R. “Noise Transmission Characteristics of Advanced Composite Structural Materials,” Journal of Aircraft 21 7 1984 528 535
- Yang, J. C. S. Toni, C. Y. “Optimum Design of Structures of Composite Materials in Response to Aerodynamic Noise and Noise Transmission,” NASA CR 155332 December 1977
- Koval, L. R. “Field-Incidence Transmission of Treated Orthotropic and Laminated Composite Panels,” NASA TM 85680 August 1983
- Lameris, J. Stevenson, S. Streeter, B. “Study of Noise Reduction Characteristics of Composite Fiber-Reinforced Panels, Interior Panel Configurations and the Application of the Tuned Damper Concept,” University of Kansas Center for Research Report, KU-FRL-417-18 Lawrence, Kansas March 1982
- Revell, J. D. Balena, F. J. Koval, L. R. “Analytical Study of Interior Noise Control by Fuselage Design Techniques on High-Speed Propeller-Driven Aircraft,” NASA CR 159222 July 1978
- Koval, L. R. “Sound Transmission Into a Laminated Composite Cylindrical Shell,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 71 4 1980 523 530
- Grosveld, F. W. Metcalf, V. L. “Modal Response and Noise Transmission of Composite Panels,” AIAA Paper No. 85-0789-CP, SDH Conference Orlando, FL April 15-17 1985
- Vaicaitis, R. Grosveld, F. W. Mixson, J. S. “Noise Transmission Through Aircraft Panels,” AIAA Paper No. 84-0911, SDM Conference Palm Springs, CA May 14-16 1984
- Grosveld, F. W. “Characteristics of the Transmission Loss Apparatus at NASA Langley Research Center,” NASA CR-172153 June 1983
- Duncan, H. J. “Elementary Matrices,” MacMillan Company New York 1946
- Vold, H. Kundrat, J. Rocklin, G. T. Russell, R. “A Multi-Input Modal Estimation Algorithm for Mini-Computers,” SAE Paper Number 820194 1982
- Vold, H. Rocklin, G. T. “The Numerical Implementation of a Multi-Input Modal Estimation Method for Mini-Computers.” International Modal Analysis Conference Proceedings November 1982
- Beranek, L. L. “Noise Reduction and Vibration Control 2nd McGraw-Hill 1971
- Bert, C. W. “Design of Clamped Composite-Material Plates to Maximize Fundamental Frequency,” Transactions of the ASME 100 April 1978 274 278
- Davis, G. H. Sakata, I. F. “Design Considerations for Composite Fuselage Structure of Commercial Transport Aircraft,” NASA CR-159296 March 1981