This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
KIVA-A Comprehensive Model for 2-D and 3-D Engine Simulations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper summarizes a comprehensive numerical model that represents the spray dynamics, fluid flow, species transport, mixing, chemical reactions, and accompanying heat release that occur inside the cylinder of an internal combustion engine. The model is embodied in the KIVA computer code. The code calculates both two-dimensional (2D) and three-dimensional (3D) situations. It is an out-growth of the earlier 2D CONCHAS-SPRAY computer program. Sample numerical calculations are presented to indicate the level of detail that is available from these simulations. These calculations are for a direct injection stratified charge engine with swirl. Both a 2D and a 3D example are shown.
CitationAmsden, A., Butler, T., O'Rourke, P., and Ramshaw, J., "KIVA-A Comprehensive Model for 2-D and 3-D Engine Simulations," SAE Technical Paper 850554, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850554.
- Rivard W. C. Farmer O. A. Butler T. D. “RICE: A Computer Program for Multicomponent Chemically Reactive Flows at All Speeds,” Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory report LA-5812 1975
- Butler T. D. O'Rourke P. J. Sixteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1503 1976
- Gupta H. C. Syed S. A. “REC-P3 (Reciprocating Engine Combustion, Planar Geometry, Third Version): A Computer Program for Combustion in Reciprocating Engines,” MAE Report No. 1431 Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, Princeton University 1979
- Butler T. D. Cloutman L. D. Dukowicz J. K. Ramshaw J. D. “CONCHAS: An Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian Computer Code for Multicomponent Chemically Reactive Fluid Flow at All Speeds,” Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory report LA-8129-MS November 1979
- Hirt C. W. Amsden A. A. Cook J. L. J. Comput. Phys. 14 227 1974
- Cloutman L. D. Dukowicz J. K. Ramshaw J. D. Amsden A. A. “CONCHAS-SPRAY: A Computer Code for Reactive Flows with Fuel Sprays,” Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-9294-MS May 1982
- Dukowicz J. K. J. Comput. Phys. 35 229 1980
- O'Rourke P. J. Bracco F. V. “Modelling of Drop Interactions in Thick Sprays and a Comparison with Experiments,” Institution of Mechanical Engineers Paper C404/80
- O'Rourke P. J. “Collective Drop Effects in Vaporizing Liquid Sprays,” Ph. D. Thesis Princeton University November 1981
- Amsden A. A. Ramshaw J. D. O'Rourke P. J. Dukowicz J. K. “KIVA: A Computer Program for Two- and Three-Dimensional Fluid Flows with Chemical Reactions and Fuel Sprays,” Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-10245-MS 1985
- Haselman L. C. “TDC-A Computer Code for Calculating Chemically Reacting Hydrodynamic Flows in Two Dimensions,” Lawrence Livermore Laboratory report UCRL-52931 22 May 1980
- Pracht W. E. J. Comput. Phys. 17 132 1975
- Stein L. R. Gentry R. A. Hirt C. W. Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng. 11 57 1977
- Tunstall J. N. “On the Derivation of Conservative Finite-Difference Expressions for the Navier-Stokes Equations,” Union Carbide Corporation, Nuclear Division report K/CSD-5 Oak Ridge, Tenn. April 1977
- Ramshaw J. D. Phys. Fluids 23 675 1980
- Ramshaw J. D. Amsden A. A. “Improved Iteration Scheme for Partial Equilibrium Flow,” J. Comput. Phys.
- Smagorinsky J. S. Month. Weather Rev. 91 99 1963
- Deardorff J. W. J. Fluid Mech. 41 453 1970
- Deardorff J. W. J. Comput. Phys. 7 120 1971
- Ramshaw J. D. O'Rourke P. J. Stein L. R. “Pressure Gradient Scaling Method for Fluid Flow with Nearly Uniform Pressure,” J. Comput. Phys.
- Ramshaw J. D. Trapp J. A. J. Comput. Phys. 21 438 1976
- O'Rourke P. J. Bracco F. V. J. Comput. Phys. 33 185 1979
- Ramshaw J. D. O'Rourke P. J. Amsden A. A. “Acoustic Damping for Explicit Calculations of Fluid Flow at Low Mach Number,”