This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parametric Analyses of Pneumatic Tires Update-Samples of Engineering Problems and Solutions in Off-Road Locomotion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper is in a sense, a sequel to the paper published by the Society of Automotive Engineers, in 1974.
It reports corrections, refinements, validation and extension of bevameter methods in parametric analyses of pneumatic tire - soils systems.
Considerations of tire detailed dimensions, form, internal structure, configuration (duals, singles), tread design, inflation pressure, load and cost are discussed in the realm of off-road machinery.
Predictability of vehicle performances is illustrated in various soils by numerical examples and test results. Mineral and organic soils and snow are considered.
The work has been based to a large extent on recent studies performed by the author for Canadian and Italian National Research Councils.
CitationBekker, M., "Parametric Analyses of Pneumatic Tires Update-Samples of Engineering Problems and Solutions in Off-Road Locomotion," SAE Technical Paper 850536, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850536.
- Söhne W. “Four wheel drive, or rear wheel drive for high power farm tractors,” (see Fig. 4) Journal of Terramechanics Vol. 5, No. 3, 1968
- Bekker M.G. “Practical aid to off-road tire evaluation with bevameter technique”, SAE Transactions, 1974
- Bekker M.G. “Prediction of design and performance parameters in agro-forestry vehicles”, NRCC 22880, National Research Council, Ottawa, Canada, 1983
- Bekker M.G. “Parametric evaluation of pneumatic tires in on, and off-road locomotion”, Seminar Notes and Lectures, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, CEMOTER Ferrara, Italy 1983
- Bekker M.G. “Theory of land locomotion,” The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, MI 1956
- Bekker M.G. “Off-the road locomotion, research and development of terramechanics The University of Michigan Press. Ann Arbor, MI, 1960
- Bekker M.G. “Introduction to terrain-vehicle systems” The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, MI 1969
- Bekker M.G. “Tire selection for off-road Vehicles” Design News, September 17, and December 17, 1973
- Wong J.Y. “Data processing methodology in the characterization of the mechanical properties of terrain”. Journal of Terramechanics, Vol.17 No. 1, 1980
- Wong J.Y. “Evaluation of soil strength measurements” NRCC 22881, National Research Council, Ottawa, Canada, 1983
- Söhne W. and Sonnen F. J. “Measuring of rolling resistance and drawbar pull of pneumatic rubber tired tractors, and of the mechanical soil values, in an attempt of their correlation” in German. Proceedings Ist Int. Conf. on Terrain-Vehicle Systems, Edizioni Minerva Tecnica Torino-St. Vincent, Italy 1961