This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multidimensional Modeling of Radiative Heat Transfer in Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During combustion in a diesel engine radiation heat transfer is the same order of magnitude as the convection heat transfer. Therefore for a reliable engine simulation the radiation transfer equation should be solved simultaneously with the flow and energy equations. A rigorous solution for the radiative transfer is, however, neither warranted nor cost effective. An approximation is needed at a level consistent with those used in modeling the fuel spray, the chemical kinetics, the soot and the turbulence. The approximation should account for the anisotropic behavior of radiation in the engine and be easily integrated into finite difference codes.
This paper illustrates use of the first and the third order spherical harmonics approximation to the radiative transfer equation and the delta-Eddington approximation to the scattering phase function for droplets in the flow. Solutions are presented for an axisymmetric, finite cylindrical geometry and assumed distributions for temperature, soot and fuel droplets chosen to be representative of conditions in a diesel engine during combustion. Results are obtained numerically by an accurate finite difference scheme. Important goals of this paper are to investigate the importance of scattering by fuel droplets and of accounting for spatial variations in the extinction coefficient on the radiative flux distributions at the walls of a disc shaped diesel engine.
CitationMengüc, M., Viskanta, R., and Ferguson, C., "Multidimensional Modeling of Radiative Heat Transfer in Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 850503, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850503.
- Öziṣik, M.N. Radiative Transfer and Interactions with Conduction and Convection John Wiley and Sons Co. New York 1973
- Tien, C.L. “Thermal Radiation Properties of Gases” Advances in Heat Transfer Irvine T.F. Hartnett J.P. 5 Academic Press New York 1968 253 342
- Edwards, D.K. “Molecular Gas Band Radiation” Advances in Heat Transfer Irvine T.F. Hartnett J.P. 12 Academic Press New York 1976 115 193
- Tiwari, S.N. “Models for Infrared Atmospheric Radiation” Advances in Geophysics Saltzman B. 70 Academic press New York 1978 1 85
- van de Hulst, H.C. Light Scattering by Small Particles John Wiley and Sons New York 1957
- Bohren, C.T. Huffman, D.R. Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles John Wiley and Sons New York 1983
- Chang, S.L. Rhee, K.T. “Computation of Radiation Heat Transfer in Diesel Combustion” SAE Paper No. 831332 1983
- Steward, F.R. Cannon, P. “The calculation of radiative heat flux in a cylindrical furnace using the Monte-Carlo method” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 14 1971 245 261
- Steward, F.R. Tennankore, K.N. “Towards a finite difference solution coupled with the zone method for radiative transfer for a cylindrical combustion chamber” Journal of the Institute of Energy 107 1979 107 114
- Viskanta, R. “Radiative heat transfer” Fortschritte der Verfahrenstechnik 22 1984 51 81
- Mengüc, M.P. Viskanta, R. “Radiative Transfer in Axisymmetric, Finite Cylindrical Enclosures” Fundamentals of Thermal Radiation Heat Transfer Min T.C. American Society of Mechanical Engineers New York 1984
- Joseph, J.H. Wiscombe, W.J. Weinman, J.A. “The delta-Eddington approximation for radiative heat transfer” Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 33 1976 2452 2459
- Whitehouse, N.D. Clough, E. Jeje, A.B. “The study of combustion in a quiescent combustion chamber diesel engine” 1982
- Whitehouse, N.D. Abdul-Hadi, M.A. “The distribution of soot in the cylinder of a quiescent combustion chamber diesel engine” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 196 24 1982
- Chapman, M. Friedman, M.C. Aghan, A. “A Time-Dependent Spatial Model for Radiant Heat Transfer in Diesel Engines” SAE Paper No. 831725 1983
- Mengüc, M.P. Viskanta, R. “Radiative transfer in three-dimensional rectangular enclosures containing inhomogeneous, anisotropically scattering media” Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer
- Davison, B. Neutron Transport Theory Clarendon Press Oxford 1958
- Rice, J.R. Boisvert, R.F. Solving Elliptic Problems Using ELLPACK Springer Verlag New York 1984
- Felske, J.D. Tien, C.L. “The use of Milne-Eddington absorption coefficient for radiative heat transfer in combustion systems” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer 99 1977 458 465
- Whitehouse, N.D. Shahad, H.A.K. “Radiative heat transfer calculations from soot clouds for a quiescent combustion chamber diesel engine” Flows in Internal Combustion Engines Uzkan T. American Society of Mechanical Engineers New York 1984
- Chiu, W.S. Shahed, S.M. Lyn, W.T. “A Transient Spray Mixing Model for Diesel Combustion” SAE Paper No. 760128 1976