This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Short-Circuit Ratio Evaluation in the Scavenging of Two-Stroke S.I. Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One of the characteristic features of two-stroke cycle engines is to have the cylinder filling phase with fresh charge over-lapped to the exhaust phase. This situation leads to an inevitable loss of fresh mixture through the exhaust port.
The first part of this work deals with the possible methods of evaluating the percentage of fresh charge so wasted.
The validity of the simplifying hypothe sis is verified by analysis both of gas composition inside the cylinder as a function of crankangle, carried out by electrovalve sampling, and hydrocarbon composition in the exhaust gases carried out by gaschromatogra-Phy.
A calculation method for evaluating the short-circuiting loss in S.I. two-stroke engines fed with air only, with subsequent gasoline injection, is then described. In fact, this system seems to be a valid solution for the future development of this type of engine.
In the second part of the work, results drawn from experimental research on engines with different scavenging solutions are presented.
In the last part, an attempt is made to set up a correlation between the scavenging test of Jante type and the short-circuiting loss.
CitationNuti, M. and Martorano, L., "Short-Circuit Ratio Evaluation in the Scavenging of Two-Stroke S.I. Engines," SAE Technical Paper 850177, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850177.
- et Al “Multi-Layer Stratified Scavenging (MULS) - A New Scavenging Method for Two-Stroke Engines” SAE Paper 840420
- ASANUMA T. et Al “Gas Sampling Valve for Measuring Scavenging Efficiency in High Speed Two-Stroke Engines” SAE Transactions 70 1962
- OHIGASHI S. et Al “Cylinder Gas Composition of Small 2 Stroke Cycle Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 710143
- KOLLMAN R.E. et Al “Exhaust Emission Characteristics of a Small 2-Stroke Cycle Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 730159
- JANTE A. “Scavenging and Other Problems of Two-Stroke Cycle Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE Paper 680468
- BLAIR G.P. “Studying Scavenge Flow in a Two Stroke Cycle Engine” SAE Paper 750752
- AOYAMA T. et Al “Abnormal Combustion in Two Stroke Motorcycles Engines” SAE Paper 770183
- MARTORANO L. NUTI M. “Experimental Method for Evaluating the Scavenge of Two Stroke Cycle Engines” 35° Contreggo Nationale ATI S. Vincent 1980
- NUTI M. “Experimental Research on Moped En gine Optimisation” SAE Paper 810519