This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Techniques for Thermal and Catalytic Diesel Particulate Trap Regeneration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Advanced techniques for regenerating diesel particulate traps are described. A bypassable trap system minimized regeneration thermal energy requirements. Thermal regeneration systems with burners or electric resistance heaters were evaluated. Regeneration emissions and fuel consumption penalties were measured. Catalytic fuel additives consisting of octoate based compounds of copper and nickel, and copper and cerium provided reductions of up to 410°F in trap regeneration temperature. Durability tests confirmed frequent self regeneration with fuel additives. Over 95% of the fuel additive was collected by the trap. The useful life of the trap having a volume equal to engine displacement was estimated to be 30,000 miles.
|Technical Paper||Port Fuel Injectors-Causes/Consequences/Cures|
|Technical Paper||An Air/Fuel Algorithm to Improve the NOx Conversion of Copper-Based Catalysts|
|Collection||Fuel and Additive Effects on Engine Systems, 2017|
CitationRao, V., White, J., Wade, W., Aimone, M. et al., "Advanced Techniques for Thermal and Catalytic Diesel Particulate Trap Regeneration," SAE Technical Paper 850014, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850014.
- 1985 EPA Federal Test Car List October 17 1984
- Wade W. R. White J. E. Jones C. M. Hunter C. E. Hansen S. P. “Combustion, Friction and Fuel Tolerance Improvements for The IDI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 840515 1984
- Reams L. A. Wiemero T. A. Levin H. B. Wade W. R. “Capabilities of Diesel Electronic Fuel Control” SAE Paper No. 820449 1982
- Ring H. J. “Diesel Electronic Engine Emission Controls,” SAE Paper No. 840545 1984
- Wade W. R. White J. E. Florek J. J. “Diesel Particulate Trap Regeneration Techniques” SAE Paper No. 810118 1981
- Wade W. R. White J. E. Florek J. J. Cikanek H. A. “Thermal and Catalytic Regeneration of Diesel Particulate Traps” SAE Paper No. 830083 1983
- Weaver C. “Trap-Oxidizer Technology for Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles: Status, Prospects and Current Issues,” SAE Paper No. 831713 1983