This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Moving Base Driving Simulator With Wide Angle Visual System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An advanced driving simulator has been completed at the Swedish Road and Traffic Research Institute.
A moving base system with three degrees of freedom (lateral motion, roll and pitch) is used to simulate inertia forces up to 0.4 g. The visual system consists of three TV-projectors with screens in front of the driver covering 120 degrees horizontally. The road picture is generated purely by electronic means and offers flexibility in different layouts of the road and lighting conditions. The theoretical model is fairly complex and describes a vehicle with four wheels. Tire characteristics are nonlinear and the model also includes compliances in the steering system and the suspensions, which is very important to obtain correct handling qualities.
The performance of the whole system is measured and compared with field test data, obtained under similar conditions. Different areas of use are described and the advantages and shortcomings are discussed.
|Technical Paper||An Overview of the DRI Driving Simulator|
|Technical Paper||The Design of a Suspension Parameter Measurement Device|
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Tractor-Semitrailer Handling|
CitationNordmark, S., Lidstrom, M., and Palmkvist, G., "Moving Base Driving Simulator With Wide Angle Visual System," SAE Technical Paper 845100, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/845100.
- ISO TC22 SC9 (Sweden) (1978): Draft Proposal for an International Standard, Road Vehicles - Transient Response Test Procedure. (N 138 rev 1)
- Richter Bernd 1974 Driving Simulator Studies - the Influence of Vehicle Parameters on Safety in Critical Situations. SAE-paper 74 1105
- Dugoff H. Fancher O.S. Segel L. 1959 Tire Performance Characteristics Affecting Vehicle Response to Steering and Braking Control Inputs, Contract No. CTS-460, National Bureau of Standards
- Lidström M. Nordmark S. Nordström O. 1981 Handling research in a driving simulator. Computer simulation in real time. Proc. 7th IAVSD-Symposium Cambridge, UK September 7 11 1981
- Nordström O. Nilsson A. Nilsson B. 1974 Measurements Tyre-Road Characteristics, Swedish ESV program Report 6-01
- Gillespie T.D. Mac Adam C.C. Hu G.T. 1980 Truck and Tractor-Trailer Dynamic Response Simulation - T3 DRS:V1, Users Manual. FHWA-RD-79-125
- Pacejka H.B. 1978 Tyre Factors and Vehicle Handling. Delft Univ. of Technology. WTHD 108
- Godthelp J. Blaauw G.J. van der Horst A.R.A. 1982 Instrumented car and driving simulation: Measurements of vehicle dynamics. Institute for Perception TNO, Soesterberg, Report IZF 1982-37