This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement On Accelerated Paint Film Weathering Test Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One of the major problems of current accelerated weathering methods is difficulty of reproducing the results of in-use exposure. This paper reports a microanalytic method used to improve that reproducibility. For that purpose, electron-microscopic observations were performed of coating surface degradations caused by various accelerated weathering methods and those induced by outdoor exposures, along with those of in-use car panels, thereby identifying differences in film degradation forms.
The accelerated weathering tests demonstrated the effects that the wavelength distribution of radiation, temperature, water feeding procedure, etc. had on loss of gloss, fading, and film surface degradation forms, especially a great effect of ultraviolet light on such failures. It was based on analytic results of such environmental factors that the accelerated testing conditions including wavelength distribution of the radiation, water feeding, temperature, etc. were improved, thus making possible better evaluation and prediction of gloss retention life of solid coatings.
CitationTsurui, M., Takato, M., and Nakata, T., "Improvement On Accelerated Paint Film Weathering Test Method," SAE Technical Paper 845085, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/845085.
- Furukawa T. Tanimoto Y. Takato M. Journal of the Society Automotive Engineers of Japan, 36  1155 1982
- Scott J. L. Journal of Coatings Technology, 49  27 1977
- Stieg F. B. Journal of Paint Technology, 38  29 1966
- Sakae U. Journal of the Japan Society of Color Material, 46, 121 1973
- Kimura K. Ohtani S. Hamamoto A. Journal of the Japan Society of Color Material, 47, 338 1974
- Oki Y. Journal of the Metal Finishing Society of Japan, 28, 428 1977
- Tanaka T. Journal of the Japan Society of Color Material, 52,359 1979
- Tsurui M. Internal Report, Toyo Kogyo Co., Ltd
- Ishitani A. Journal of the Japan Society of Color Material, 53, 468 1980
- Cunningham G. P. Hansen C. M. Technical Impact Surf. (U.S.A.), 297 1982