This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Single-Cylinder, Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 1, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The potential sources of hydrocarbon (HC) emissions from a single-cylinder, divided-chamber diesel engine were investigated in this study. To evaluate the relative importance of these sources, the variations of HC emissions with engine speed, air-fuel ratio, combustion timing, intake-air temperature, coolant temperature and oil temperature were examined. Included in the diagnostics of this investigation were: ignition-delay measurements, combustion-chamber surface temperature measurements and heat-release modeling. Lubricating oil was found to contribute significantly to HC emissions. In addition, the results suggested that bulk quenching of flame and non-flame reactions is a primary source of HC emissions. On the other hand, lean mixing during the ignition delay period and wall interactions appear to be secondary sources.
CitationAlkidas, A., "Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Single-Cylinder, Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 841380, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841380.
- Greeves G. and Wang C. H. T., “Origins of Hydrocarbon and Carbon Monoxide Emissions from Diesel Engines,” 17th International Congress FISITA, pp. 779-804, 1978.
- Greeves G., Khan I. M., Wang C. H. T. and Fenne I., “Origins of Hydrocarbon Emissions from Diesel Engines,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 86, pp. 1235-1251, 1977.
- Yu R. C., Wong V. W. and Shahed S. M., “Sources of Hydrocarbon Emissions from Direct-Injection Diesel Engines,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 89, pp. 324-335, 1980.
- Dent J. C., “Turbulent Mixing Rate - Its Effect on Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper 800092, 1980.
- Black F. and High L., “Methodology for Determining Particulate and Gaseous Diesel Hydrocarbon Emissions,” SAE Paper 790422, 1979.
- Smith O. I., Westbrook C. K. and Sawyer R. F., “Lean Limit Combustion in an Expanding Chamber,” 17th Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, pp. 1305-1313, 1978.
- Spalding D. B., “A Theory of Extinction of Diffusion Flames,” Fuel, Vol. 33, pp. 255-273, 1954.
- Ahmad T., Plee S. L. and Myers J. P., “Effect of Intake-Air Composition on Gas-Phase and Particulate-Bound HC Emissions from Diesel Engines,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 90, pp. 3755-3770, 1981.
- Daniel W. A., “Flame Quenching at the Walls of an Internal Combustion Engine,” 6th Symposium (International) on Combustion, Reinhold Publ. Co., New York, pp. 886-894, 1956.
- Daniel W. A. and Wentworth J. T., “Exhaust Gas Hydrocarbons -Genesis and Exodus,” SAE Technical Progress Series, Vol. 6, “Vehicle Emissions,”, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. pp. 192-205, 1964.
- Daniel W. A., “Why Engine Variables Affect Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emission,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 79, pp. 400-426, 1970.
- LoRusso J. A., Kaiser E. W. and Lavoie G. A., “Quench Layer Contribution to Exhaust Hydrocarbons from a Spark-Ignited Engine,” Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 25, pp. 121-125, 1981.
- Blint R. J. and Bechtel J. H., “Hydrocarbon Combustion Near a Cooled Wall,” SAE Paper 820063, 1982.
- Huls T. A., Myers P. S. and Uyehara O. A., “Spark Ignition Engine Operation and Design for Minimum Exhaust Emissions,” SAE Paper 660405, 1966.
- Wentworth J. T., “Effect of Combustion Chamber Surface Temperature on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Concentration,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 80, pp. 2003-2019, 1971.
- Myers J. P. and Alkidas A. C., “Effects of Combustion-Chamber Surface Temperature on the Exhaust Emissions of a Single-Cylinder, Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 87, pp. 2483-2496, 1978.
- Alkidas A. C. and Cole R. M., “The Distribution of Heat Rejection from a Single-Cylinder Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 90, pp. 2936-2948, 1981.
- Cole R. M. and Alkidas A. C., “Inventory of Heat Losses for a Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 821050, 1982.
- MacDonald J. S., Plee S. L., D’Arcy J. B. and Schreck R. M., “Experimental Measurements of the Independent Effects of Dilution Ratio and Filter Temperature on Diesel Exhaust Samples,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 89, pp. 1045-1056, 1980.
- Williams R. L. and Chock D. P., “Characterization of Diesel Particulate Exposure,” Paper presented to the International Symposium on Health Effects of Diesel Engine Emissions, Cincinnati, 1979.
- Mansouri S. H., Heywood J. B. and Radhakrishnan K., “Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine, Part I: A Cycle-Simulation Which Predicts Performance and Emissions,” SAE Paper 820273, 1982.
- Lyn W. T. and Valdmanis E., “The Application of High Speed Schlieren Photography to Diesel Combustion Research,” The Journal of Photographic Science, Vol. 10, pp. 74-82, 1962.
- Zimmerman D. R., “Laser Anemometer Measurements of the Air Motion in the Prechamber of an Automotive Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 830452, 1983.
- Alcock J. F. and Watts R., “The Combustion Process in High-Speed Diesel Engines,” CIMAC, Paper A7, pp. 246-272, 1959.
- Alcock J. F. and Scott W. M., “Some More Light on Diesel Combustion,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. (Automobile Division), Paper No. 5, pp. 179-191, 1962-63.
- Scott W. M., “Looking in on Diesel Combustion,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 70, pp. 680-696, 1962.
- Henein N. A., “Analysis of Pollutant Formation and Control and Fuel Economy in Diesel Engines,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., Vol. 1, pp. 165-207, 1976.
- Patterson D. J. and Henein N. A. Emissions from Combustion Engines and Their Control, Ann Arbor Science Publishers, Inc., Ann Arbor, MI, pp. 231-304, 1972.
- Slezak J. P. and Vossmeyer W., “New Deutz High Performance Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 810905, 1981.
- Cole R. M., Private Communication, 1982.
- Mayer W. J., Lechman D. C. and Hilden D. L., “The Contribution of Engine Oil to Diesel Exhaust Particulate Emissions,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 89, pp. 1190-1199, 1980.
- Beaubien S. J. and Cattaneo A. G., “Piston Lubrication Phenomena in a Motored Glass Cylinder Engine,” SAE Journal, Vol. 54, pp. 60-67, 1946.
- Oliver G. R., “A Note on Oil Consumption in I.C. Engines,” MIRA Report No. 1953/2, 1953.
- de K. Dykes P., “An Investigation into the Mechanism of Oil Loss Past Pistons,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 171, pp. 413-426, 1957.
- Coon J. S. and Loeffler D. E., “Routes of Crankcase Oil Loss,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 67, pp. 59-70, 1959.
- Furuhama S., Oya Y. and Nakamura T., “A Study of Oil Loss through the Piston,” Bulletin of JSME, Vol. 6, No. 22, pp. 378-387, 1963.
- Pachernegg S. J., “The Hydraulics of Oil Scraping,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 80, pp. 2653-2669, 1971.
- Wentworth J. T., “Effect of Top Compression Ring Profile on Oil Consumption and Blowby with the Sealed Ring-Orifice Design,” SAE Paper 820089, 1982.
- Furuhama S., Hiruma M. and Yoshida H., “An Increase of Engine Oil Consumption at High Temperature of Piston and Cylinder,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 90, pp. 3008-3017, 1981.
- McGeehan J. A., “A Literature Review of the Effects of Piston and Ring Friction and Lubricating Oil Viscosity on Fuel Economy,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 87, pp. 2619-2638, 1978.
- Haskell W. W. and Legate C. E., “Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions from Gasoline Engines - Surface Phenomena,” SAE Paper 720255, 1972.
- Kaiser E. W., Adamczyk A. A. and Lavoie G. A., “The Effect of Oil Layers on the Hydrocarbon Emissions Generated During Closed Vessel Combustion,” Eighteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, Pittsburgh, pp. 1881-1890, 1981.
- Carrier G., Fendell F. and Feldman P., “Cyclic Absorption/Desorption of Gas in a Liquid Wall Film,” Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 25, pp. 9-19, 1981.
- Kaiser E. W., Lorusso J. A., Lavoie G. A. and Adamczyk A. A., “The Effect of Oil Layers on the Hydrocarbon Emissions from Spark-Ignited Engines,” Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 28, pp. 69-73, 1982.
- Hamilton G. M. and Moore S. L., “Measurement of the Oil-Film Thickness Between the Piston Rings and Liner of a Small Diesel Engine,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 188, 20/74, pp. 253-261, 1974.