This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel economy, emissions and noise of multi-spray light duty DI diesels–current status and development trends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The current status and development trends of light duty diesel engines equipped with a multi-spray direct injection combustion system are described. Fuel consumption maps of a naturally aspirated and a turbocharged engine show that competitive performance and best fuel economy can be achieved. As a means for the reduction of combustion noise a “split injection device” is installed in the high pressure part of the fuel system. It permits a reduction of the amount of fuel injected during the ignition delay and consequently reduces the rate of pressure rise and maximum cylinder pressure. In addition, also a reduction of exhaust emissions is experienced. Advanced piston technology is presented as a feature for a further improvement of performance and fuel economy.
CitationMAYER, K., "Fuel economy, emissions and noise of multi-spray light duty DI diesels–current status and development trends," SAE Technical Paper 841288, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841288.
- CARTELLIERI W. and SCHUKOFF B.: Die direkte Einspritzung für leichte Dieselmotoren. FISITA Congress, Budapest, Paper 3.3.5, 1978.
- CARTELLIERI W. Direct Injection for Light Duty Diesel Engines. SIA Congress, Paris, April 2-3, 1980.
- CICHOCKI R. and CARTELLIERI W. The Passenger Car Direct Injection Diesel - A Performance and Emissions Update SAE Paper SAE 810 480, 1981.
- NEITZ A. and D'ALFONSO N. The M.A.N Combustion System with Controlled Direct Injection for Passenger Car Diesel Engines. SAE Paper 810 479, 1981.
- ELSBETT L. and BEHRENS M. Elko's Light Duty D.I. Diesel Engines with Heat Insulated Combustion System and Component Design. SAE Paper 810 478, 1981.
- MONAGHAN M.L. The Best High Speed Direct Injection Diesel System for Light Duty Application. I Mech. E Conference, London, Paper C 105/82, October 5-7, 1982.
- MONAGHAN M.L. A Wall Wetting Direct Injection Diesel for Passenger Cars. FISITA-Congress, Vienna, Paper No., 345040, May 6-11, 1984.
- CARTELLIERI W. and TRITTHART P.: Particulate Analysis of Light Duty Diesel Engines (IDI & DI) with Particular Reference to the Lube Oil Particulate Fraction. SAE Paper No. 840 418, 1984.
- THIEN G.E. Sources of Noise in the Diesel Engine VDI-Berichte, 1983, no. 499, pp. 107 - 119.
- RöNITZ R. Chancen der Direktein-spritzung bei schnellaufenden PKW-Dieselmotoren für die Groβserie. FISITA-Congress, Vienna, Paper 845 090, May 6-11, 1984.
- MUNRO R. Fuel Economy - Its Influence on Piston Design Features. SAE Paper 830067, 1933.