This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Additives—The Right Stuff for Automotive Engine Oils
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Varying amounts of many kinds of chemical agents are used in both gasoline and diesel engine oils to provide the performance characteristics required by modern engines. These additives adapt the oils to changing temperatures, reduce friction, prevent wear and alleviate the many problems caused by combustion-chamber blowby in the crankcase and the area of the piston rings.
CitationWatson, R. and McDonnell, T., "Additives—The Right Stuff for Automotive Engine Oils," SAE Technical Paper 841208, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841208.
Fuels and Lubricants Primer for Automotive Engineers-Second Edition
Number: SP-0671 ; Published: 1986-09-01
Number: SP-0671 ; Published: 1986-09-01
- Raymond L., “Today's Fuels and Lubricants and How They Got That Way,” SAE/SP-80/471, 801341 (1980).
- Schilling A., “Automobile Engine Lubrication,” Scientific Publications (G.B.) Ltd. (1972).
- Watson R. W., “The Role of Alkyl Groups in Petroleum Additives,” Proceedings of the JSLE-ASLE International Lubrication Conference, Tokyo, Japan (1975).
- Gruse W. A., “Motor Oils,” Reinhold (1967).
- LeSeur W. M., Norman G. R., “Reaction Product of High Molecular Weight Succinic Acids and Succinic Anhydrides With an Ethylene Polyamine,” U.S. Patent 3,172,892 (1965).
- Drummond A. Y., Anderson R. G., and Stuart F. A., “Lubricating Oil Compositions of Alkyldiperazine Alkenyl Succinimides,” U.S. Patent 3,024,195 (1962).
- Piasek E. J., and Karll R. E., “Dihydroxybenzyl Polyamines,” U.S. Patent 3,539,633 (1962).
- Gergel W. C, “Detergents - What Are They,” Proceedings of the JSLE-ASLE International Lubrication Conference, Tokyo, Japan (1975).
- Reiff O. M., “Metal Salts of Alkyl Substituted Hydroxyaromatic Carboxylic Acids,” U.S. Patent 2,252,662 (1941).
- Loane C. M., and Gaynor J. W., “Lubricants,” U.S. Patents 2,316,080 through 2,316,084 (1943).
- Bray W. B., Dickey C. R., and Voormees V., “Dispersions of Insoluble Carbonates in Oil,” Ind. Eng. Chem., Prod. Res. Dev., Vol. 14, No. 4 (1975).
- Larson R. G., and Armfield F. A., “Catalysis in the Oxidation of Lubricating Oil,” Ind. Eng. Chem., Vol. 35, May (1943).
- Burn A. J., “The Mechanism of the Antioxidant Action of Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphates,” Tetrahedron, Vol. 22 (1966).
- Barton D. B., Klaus E. E., Tewksbury E. J., and Strang J. R., “Preferential Adsorption in the Lubrication Process of Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphates,” ASLE Trans., ASLE-ASME International Lubrication Conference, New York (1972).
- Willermet P. A., Mahoney L. R., and Bishop C. M., “Lubricant Degredation and Wear III. Antioxidant Reactions and Wear Behavior of a Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate in a Fully Formulated Lubricant,” ASLE Trans., Vol. 23 (1979).
- Messina N. V., “VI Improvers For Multigrade Oils,” Proceedings of the JSLE-ASLE International Lubrication Conference, Tokyo, Japan (1975).
- Shelby T. W., “The Non-Newtonian Characteristics of Lubricating Oils,” ASLE Trans. 68, April (1958).
- Cameron N. A., “Basic Lubrication Theory,” Wiley & Sons, New York (1976).
- Reis H. E., and Gabor J., “Chain Length Compatibility in Rust Prevention,” Chem. Ind. 1561 (1967).
- Chamberlain W B., “Concentrates, Lubricant Compositions and Methods for Improving Fuel Economy of Internal Combustion Engines,” U.K. Patent App., G.B., 2023169 A (1979).
- Smith R. C, Brewster P. W., and Gowland F W., “Glycerol Esters in Lubricating Oils as Fuel Economy Additives,” U.K. Patent App., G.B., 2097.813 A (1982).
- Papay A. G., and O'Brien J. P., “Lubricating Oil Composition,” U.S. Patent 4,293,432 (1981).
- Sabol A. R., and Baughman E. H., “Improved Process for Molybdenum Phosphosulfurized Hydrocarbon Composition,” U.S. Patent 4,202,781 (1980).
- Lorensen L. E., “Pour Point Depression I; Mechanism Studies,” Am. Chem. Soc. Div. Petrol. Chem., Preprints, Vol. 7, No. 4, B-71 (1962).
- Lorensen L. E., and Hewett W. A., “Pour Point Depression II; Structure vs. Activity,” Am. Chem. Soc. Div. Petrol. Chem., Preprints, Vol. 7, No. 4., B-71 (1962).
- Bhute R. S., “Silicone Antifoam Agents,” J. Scient. Ind. Res., Vol. 30, May (1971).
- Gallopoulos N. E., and Murphy C. K., “Interactions Between a Zinc Dialkylphosphorodithioate and Lubricating Oil Dispersants,” ASLE Trans., Vol. 14, 1-7, May (1970).
- Rounds F. G., “Additive Interactions and Their Effect on the Performance of Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphates,” ASLE Trans., Vol. 21, 2.91-101, October (1976).
- Inoue K., and Watanabe N., “Interactions of Engine Oil Additives,” ASLE Trans., Vol. 26, 2.189-199.