This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Solution for Contact Pressure Distributions in Misaligned Self-Lubricated Journal Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A numerical method is presented for studying the three dimensional pressure and stress distribution conformal contact problem found in misaligned self-lubricated journal bearings. The modified Boussinesq force-displacement influence function and modified profile function are employed in conjunction with the integral equation discretization method and the mesh generation technique to analyze the contact pressure distribution and the axial contact length (separation point) within the misaligned pressure zone. The method has been implemented in a computer program and has been applied to the problems of misaligned and perfectly-aligned conformal contact. The results have been verified by comparison with the experimental data presented in the literature for the self-lubricated filament wound bearing under various conditions of load and misalignment. The agreement between the theory and experimental work is good within the framework of linear theory of elasticity.
|Technical Paper||Influence of the Effective Viscosity on Bearing Performance|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Behaviour of an Elastic Connecting–Rod Bearing – Theoretical Study|
|Technical Paper||A Simple Model of Cyclic Variation|
CitationMarshek, K. and Chen, H., "Numerical Solution for Contact Pressure Distributions in Misaligned Self-Lubricated Journal Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 841125, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841125.
- Cooper J. H. Jr. “The Influence of Misalignment on Self-Lubricated Bearings” SAE Paper 831370 Sept. 1983
- Hartnett M. J. “The Analysis of Contact Stresses in Rolling Element Bearings” ASME Journal of Lubrication Technology 101 105 109 1979
- Timoshenko S. P. Goodier J. N. Theory of Elasticity McGraw-Hill New York 1972
- Singh K. P. Paul B. “Stress Concentration in Crowned Rollers” ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry Nov. 1974
- Dowson D. Hamrock B. J. “Numerical Evaluation of the Surface Deformation of Elastic Solid Subjected to a Hertzian Contact Stress” ASLE Trans. 19 279 286 1975
- Hildebrand F. B. Introduction to Numerical Analysis McGraw-Hill New York 1953
- Ralston A. A First Course in Numerical Analysis McGraw-Hill New York 1965
- Persson A. On the Stress Distribution of Cylindrical Elastic Bodies in Contact PhD Dissertation Chalmers, Tekniska, Hogskola, Goteborg, Sweden 1964