This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Remote Underwater Manipulator (RUM III)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes RUM III, a new remotely operated seafloor search and work vehicle being designed for use in the abyssal plains and spreading centers of the world's ocean basins. The vehicle will operate at the end of 10,000 meters of coaxial strain cable to a depth of 5000 meters. Anticipated uses include documented coring in the deep-sea floor, benthic ecology studies, investigation of spreading centers and deep-sea vents, development of assessment technology for polymetallic sulfide deposits, emplacement and replenishment of long term deep-sea instrument systems, and the recovery of lost instruments from the seafloor.
CitationAnderson, V. and Horn, R., "Remote Underwater Manipulator (RUM III)," SAE Technical Paper 841012, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841012.
- Thiel H. Hessler R. 1974 Remote Underwater Craft Explores Deep Sea Bottom Umschau 14 451 453
- Jumars P. 1978 Spatial Autocorrelation with RUM (Remote Underwater Manipulator): Vertical and Horizontal Structure of a Bathyl Benthic Community Deep Sea Research 25 589 604
- Thistle D. 1978 Harpecticoid Dispersion Patterns: Implications for Deep Sea Diversity Maintenance Journal of Marine Research 36 377 379
- Burnett B. R. 1981 Quantitative Sampling of Nano Biota (Micro Biota) of the Deep Sea Benthos III: Bathyl San Diego Trough Deep Sea Research 28 649 663
- Smith K. Hessler R. 1974 Respiration of Benthopelagic Fishes; In Situ Measurements at 1230 Meters Science 184 72 73
- Spiess F. N. Lonsdale P. F. 1982 Deep Tow Rise Crest Exploration Techniques Marine Technology Society Journal 16 3 67 75
- Malahoff A. 1982 The Ocean Floor, Our New Frontier, A Scientific Viewpoint 1982 Marine Technology Society Journal 16 3 3 4
- Welling G. G. 1982 Polymetallic Sulfides. An Industry Viewpoint Marine Technology Society Journal 16 3 5 7
- Horn R. C. Anderson V. C. Madsen B. Sea-water Hydraulic Manipulator Boom for Rum III 1983 ROV “83” Conference and Exposition Record Marine Technology Society, San Diego Section