This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of the Type of Thoracic Protection Criteria Used in Side Impacts on the Choice of Thorax Model and Interior Fittings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Protection criteria aside from deflection are defined on the basis of measurement functions taken at various but unique points on the thorax (rib, spinal column); these functions may also use two points (two ribs, for example) which results in deflection intervening as a criterion.
The conditions imposed by these criteria result in different requirements for vehicle wall conditions and thorax model construction.
Mathematical modeling of the vehicle wall-thorax collision is performed in order to compare possible criteria on this basis.
Concurrently, a statistical analysis performed on a sampling of side impacts occurring with human subjects permits injury severity to be expressed by means of several functions whose predictive qualities are unequal. These functions include deflection, and their literal expression takes into account the state of the subjects' bone structure.
The criteria produced by these predictive functions are used in the preceding mathematical model. The possibility of optionally using different criteria is discussed.
CitationBrun-Cassan, F., Pincemaille, Y., Fayon, A., and Tarriere, C., "Influence of the Type of Thoracic Protection Criteria Used in Side Impacts on the Choice of Thorax Model and Interior Fittings," SAE Technical Paper 840881, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840881.
- Joint Biomechanical Research Project KOB Bundesanstalt fur Strassenwesen, Köln Germany Unfall und Sicherheitsforschung Strassenverkehr 34 1982
- Eppinger R.H. Chan H.S. “Thoracic Injury Prediction via Digital Convolution Theory” 25th Stapp Car Crash Conference Sept. 1981
- Eppinger R.H. Partyka S.C. “Estimating Fatality Reductions Associated With Safety Improvements” 8th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Oct. 1980
- Eppinger R.H. Morgan R.M. Marcus J.H. “Side Impact Data Analysis” Proceedings of the 9th ESV Conference November 1982 Kyoto, Japan
- Walfisch G. Chamouard F. Lestrelin D. Fayon A. Tarrière C Got C. Guillon F. Patel A. Hureau J. “Tolerance Limits and Mechanical Characteristics of the Human Thorax in Frontal and Side Impact and Transposition of These Characteristics into Protection Criteria” IRCOBI Conference Köln, Germany Sept. 1982
- Fayon A. Tarrière C. Walfisch G. Duprey M. Balthazard M. “Development and Performance of the APR Dummy (APROD)” 8th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Oct. 1980
- Sacreste J. Brun-Cassan F. Fayon A. Tarriere C Got C. Patel A. “Proposal for a Thorax Tolerance Level in Side Impacts Based on 62 Tests Performed With Cadavers Having Known Bone Condition” 26th Stapp Car Crash Conference Oct.-1982