This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Hydrogen Embrittlement Zinc-Nickel Electroplating: An Alternative to Cadmium-Update
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A zinc-nickel (Zn-Ni) alloy electroplating process has been developed which provides equivalent or superior performance to cadmium (Cd) plating in the following areas: corrosion protection, low hydrogen embrittlement, lubricity, torque tension, installation force, and electrical conductivity. In addition, it offers reduced tendency for exfoliation corrosion of coupled or contacting aluminum structure as compared to Cd plating. Conventional electroplating tank facilities can be converted to the Zn-Ni process with minimal modification. The elimination of Cd and cyanide reduce the waste hazard significantly, and the excellent technical performance makes the low hydrogen embrittlement Zn-Ni electroplating process a viable alternative to Cd plating of high- and low-strength steels in aircraft and other applications.
This paper is an update of progress for development and implementation of the process during 1983.
|Aerospace Material Specification||Aluminum 7075, Plate and Sheet, Alclad 7011|
|Technical Paper||Brush Plating Applications Utilizing AeroNikl® Sulfamate Nickel on Aircraft Components|
|Technical Paper||Exhaust Flanges and Oxygen Sensor Bosses: Machinability Enhancement of 400 Series Stainless Steels|
CitationHsu, G., "Low Hydrogen Embrittlement Zinc-Nickel Electroplating: An Alternative to Cadmium-Update," SAE Technical Paper 840815, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840815.
- Hsu G. F. “A New Zn-Ni Electroplating Process: Alternative to Cd Plating,” Proceedings of the 19th Annual Airline Plating & Metal Finishing Forum P-127, 830686 Mar. 7-10, 1983
- “Cd Colloquy,” Plat and Surf. Fin. Vol. 64 8 Nov. 1977
- “Alternatives to Cd Plating: Reflections Five Years Later,” Plat, and Surf, Fin. 69 34 Nov. 1982
- Hall D. E. “Electrodeposited Zn-Ni Alloy Coatings - A Review,” Plat. and Surf. Fin. 70 59 Nov. 1983
- Raman V. Pushpavanam M. Jayakrishnan S. Shenoi B.A. “A Bath for the Deposition of Bright Zn-Ni Alloy,” Metal Finishing 81 85 May 1983
- Rynne G. B. U.S. Patent 4,388,160 1983
- Brenner A. Electrodeposition of Alloys: Principles and Practice I II 326 I Academic Press N.Y., N.Y. 1963
- Fannin E. R. Muehlberger D. E. “Ivadizer Applied Aluminum Coating Improves Corrosion Protection of Aircraft,” MCAIR No. 78-006 14th Airlines Plating Forum Apr. 25-27, 1978
- Fannin E. R. “Ion Vapor Deposited Aluminum Coatings for Improved Corrosion Protection,” MCAIR No. 78- 007 AGARD Meeting Florence, Italy Sept. 26-28, 1978
- McLoughlin V. C. R. “The Replacement of Cd for the Coating of Fasteners in Aerospace Applications,” Transactions of the Institute of Metal Finishing 57 102 1979
- Muehlberger D. E. “Ion Vapor Deposition of Aluminum: More Than Just a Cd Substitute,” Plat. and Surf. Fin. 70 24 Nov. 1983