This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Simplified Approach for Non-Linear Impact Analysis of Vehicle Bumpers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A simplified numerical approach was used to evaluate the dynamic deflections of bumper systems under impact. The analysis was performed using a nonlinear structural finite element computer code, WRECKER-F, developed by Ford Motor Company. Five cases consisting of different mesh size models and boundary conditions for the center impact by a pendulum were simulated and four cases for corner impact were studied. It was found that this simplified approach is accurate enough to be used for preliminary evaluations of bumper impact performance.
CitationYeung, K., Chen, H., and Nguyen, T., "A Simplified Approach for Non-Linear Impact Analysis of Vehicle Bumpers," SAE Technical Paper 840726, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840726.
- Yeung K. S. Welch R. E. “Refinement of Finite Element Analysis of Automobile Structures Under Crash Loading,” DOT HS-803 466 October 1977
- Yeung K. S. Hollowell T. “Large Displacement, Nonlinea Static and Dynamic Analysis of Automobile Sheet Metal Structure,” SAE Paper No. 780367
- Yeung K. S. “WRECKER-F Theoreical Manual,” Ford Motor Company Internal Report 1983
- Bang-Jean Hsieh “Nonlinear Transient Finite Element Analysis with Convected Coordinates,” PhD Thesis Uni. of Illinois Chicago, IL 1974
- Malvern L. E. “Introduction to the Mechanics of a Continuous Medium,” Prentice Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, NJ 1969
- Tang S. C. Yeung K. S. Chon C. T. “On the Tangent Stiffness Matrix in a Convected Coordinate System,” Computers and Structures 12 Pergamon Press 849 856 1980
- Hartzman M. Hutchinson J. R. “Nonlinear Dynamics of Solids by the Finite Element Method,” Computers and Structures 2 Pergamon Press 47 77 1972