This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of Swirling Flow in Cylinder for Predicting D.I. Diesel Engine Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Details of air flow in a direct injection diesel engine was investigated with a steady flow test rig. A laser doppler velocimeter was used to characterize the three dimensional air flow generated by two kinds of inlet ports. In order to obtain the distribution of flow velocity in a cylinder section, interpolation was carried out. A stereographic display of the three dimensional velocity vectors in the cylinder space allowed easy comprehension of the flow chracteristics. Angular momentum flux and turbulence kinetic energy in the region closer to the cylinder head as well as those in the lower region of the cylinder space are important for the prediction of air flow in an actual engine cylinder. Transition of the angular momentum flux along the cylinder axis is considered to be influenced by three kinds of angular momentum flux which is induced by an air jet around the inlet valve.
|Technical Paper||The GM 1.8 Liter L-4 Gasoline Engine Designed by Chevrolet|
|Technical Paper||Design of Devices Using Electrorheological Fluids|
|Technical Paper||Induction Swirl Ratio in D.I. Diesel Engine|
CitationKajiyama, K., Nishida, K., Murakami, A., Arai, M. et al., "An Analysis of Swirling Flow in Cylinder for Predicting D.I. Diesel Engine Performance," SAE Technical Paper 840518, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840518.
- Pischinger F. “Entwicklungarbeiten an einem Verbrennungssystem für Fahrzeugdiesel-motoren” ATZ, Jg.65-1, Nr p11 1963
- Fitzgeorge D. Allison J.L. “Air Swirl in a Road Vehicle Diesel Engine” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. (Auto. Div.) 2 1962
- Monaghan M.L. Pettifer H.F. “Air Motion and Its Effect on Diesel Performance and Emissions” SAE Paper 810255 1981
- Tanabe S. Hamamoto Y. Ohigashi S. “Swirl in a Four-Stroke Engine Cylinder” Bulletin of the JSME 21 152 p287 1978
- Tippelmann G. “A New Method of Investigation of Swirl Ports” SAE Paper 770404 1977
- Tindal M.J. Williams T.J. “An Investigation of Cylinder Gas Motion in the Direct Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 770405 1977
- Wigley G. Hawkins M.G. “Three Dimensional Velocity Measurements by Laser Anemometry in a Diesel Engine Cylinder Under Steady State Inlet Flow Conditions” SAE Paper 780060 1978
- Brandl F. Reverencic I. Catellieri W. Dent J.C. “Turbulent Air Flow in the Combustion Bowl of a D.I. Diesel Engine and Its Effect on Engine Performance” SAE Paper 790040 1979
- Dent J.C. Salama N.S. “The Measurement of the Turbulence Characteristics in an Internal Combustion Engine Cylinder” SAE Paper 750886 1975
- Lancaster D.R. “Effects of Engine Variables on Turbulence in a Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 760159 1976
- Shiozaki T. Suzuki T. Shimada M. “Observation of Combustion Process in D.I. Diesel Engine via High Speed Direct and Schlieren Photography” SAE Paper 800025 1980
- Yamashita H. Harada K. Nakamae E. Itano J. Hammam M.S.A.A. “Stereographic Display on Three Dimensional Magnetic Fields of Electromagnetic Machines” IEEE Tras. on Power Apparatus and Systems PAS-100 11 p4962 1981
- Baden Fuller A.J. dos Santos M.L.X. “Computer Generated Display of 3D Vector Fields” Computer-Aided Design 12 2 1980