This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automotive Component Vibration: A Practical Approach to Accelerated Vibration Durability Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive components must be designed to withstand vibration for many years of service. This paper reviews a method of developing short duration laboratory tests which can simulate many years or many miles of vehicle service. The general automotive vibration environment and proper data analysis techniques are discussed. Recommendations for developing a test specification from field data and for accelerating a laboratory vibration test are reviewed. General vibration test specifications for both chassis and engine mounted components are presented.
CitationShinkle, G., "Automotive Component Vibration: A Practical Approach to Accelerated Vibration Durability Testing," SAE Technical Paper 840501, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840501.
- Abstein H.T.Jr., Curtis A.J., Tingling N.G.. Selection and Performance of Vibration Tests. 1971. The Shock and Vibration Information Center - United States Dept. of Defense.
- Law R. M., “Evaluation and Development of Engine Components and Accessories with Electrodynamic Shakers”. Transactions of the A.S.M.E. Journal of Engineering for Power. Jan. 1972, pp24-34.
- McCarter O. T., “What Electronic Devices Face in the Automobile Environment.” Electronic Design News (EDN) Jan. 5, 1974 pp28-34.
- Jaeckel H. R., “Simulation, Duplication and Synthesis of Fatigue Load Histories.” SAE paper 700032.
- Piersol A. G., “The Development of Vibration Test Specifications for Flight Vehicle Components”. Journal of Sound and Vibration Vol. 4, No. 1. 1966. pp88-115.
- Blake R. E. “A Method for Selecting Optimum Shock and Vibration Tests.” Shock and Vibration Bulletin No. 31 Part 2. Oct. 1962. pp88-97.
- Rentz P. E., “The Optimal Design of Vibration Tests”. SAE paper # 680753.
- Kimball D.V., KleeB.J., and Tustin W.; Vibration and Shock Test Fixture Design. 1971. Tustin Institute of Technology, Inc.
- Broch Jens Trampe, The Application of the Bruel and Kjaer Measuring Systems to Mechanical Vibration and Shock Measurements. May, 1972. Bruel & Kjaer.