This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cooperative Evaluation of Methods for the Analysis of PAH in Extracts from Diesel Particulate Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two cooperative programs to measure polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) in extracts from diesel particulate emissions were conducted by project groups of the Coordinating Research Council's Air Pollution Research Advisory Committee. The use of a uniform analysis method by all participating laboratories gave better precision than the use of different methods selected by each participant. Results from eight laboratories gave relative standard deviations for nine PAH which ranged from 15 to 34% using the uniform method. These results show that this method for PAH provides adequate precision for diesel fuel-and-vehicle studies as well as for health effects assessment.
CitationEisenberg, W., Schuetzle, D., and Williams, R., "Cooperative Evaluation of Methods for the Analysis of PAH in Extracts from Diesel Particulate Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 840414, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840414.
Diesel Exhaust Emissions-Particulate Studies and Transient Cycle Testing
Number: SP-0578; Published: 1984-08-01
Number: SP-0578; Published: 1984-08-01
- Kotin P., Falk H. L., and Thomas M., “Aromatic Hydrocarbons. II. Presence in the Particulate Phase of Gasoline-Engine Exhausts and the Carcinogenicity of Exhaust Extracts”, Arch. Ind. Health, 9, pp. 164-177 (1954).
- Hoffmann D., Theisz E., and Wynder E. L., “Studies on the Carcinogenicity of Gasoline Exhaust”, J. Air Pollut. Control Assoc., 15, pp. 162-165 (1965).
- Begeman C. R. and Colucci J. M., “Apparatus for Determination of the Contribution of the Automobile to the Benzene-Soluble Organic Matter in Air,” NCI Monogr. No. 9, National Cancer Inst., Bethesda, MD, pp. 17-57 (1962).
- Begeman C. R., “Carcinogenic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Automobile Effluents,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Technical Program Series, 6, pp. 163-174 (1964).
- Lee F. S.-C. and Schuetzle D., “Sampling, Extraction and Analysis of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons from Internal Combustion Engines,” in “Handbook of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons,” Bjorseth A., Editor, Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York, pp. 27-93 (1983).
- Eisenberg W. C. and Cunningham D. L. B., “Analysis of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Diesel Emissions Using HPLC: A Method Development Study,” presented at the Eight International Symposium on Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Columbus, OH, October 26-28, 1983.
- “Development of a Method for the Analysis of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Diesel Exhaust Emissions,” Final Report by IIT Research Institute to the Coordinating Research Council, Atlanta, GA, October, 1983.
- “Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Analysis Round Robin Study,” Final Report by IIT Research Institute to the Coordinating Research Council, Atlanta, GA, August, 1983.
- Youden W. J., “Graphical Diagnosis of Interlaboratory Test Results,” Industrial Quality Control, XV, No. 11, pp. 133-136 (1959).
- Results of Round Robin Tests to Analyze Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH), German Association for Petroleum Sciences and Coal Chemistry, DGMK-Project 45105, Hamburg, Germany, October, 1975.
- Reliability of BaP Analysis by Consulting and Industrial Laboratories, Industrial Hygiene Committee, American Iron and Steel Institute, November, 1975.
- Measurement of PAH Priority Pollutants in Waste Water, telephone discussion about preliminary draft with Graves Bob Mr., Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, OH, April 25, 1983.
- Metz N., Lies K.-H., and Hortung A., “Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Diesel Soot: Round Robin Test Results from Eight European Laboratories of the Committee of Common Market Automobile Constructors (CCMC),” presented at the Eighth International Symposium on Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Columbus, OH, October 26-28, 1983.
- “Diesel Engine Emissions of Particulates and Associated Organic Matter,” Second Annual Report by Battelle Columbus Laboratories to the Coordinating Research Council, Atlanta, GA, June 18, 1982.
- Williams R. L. and Swarin S. J., “Benzo(a)pyrene Emissions from Gasoline and Diesel Automobiles,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Paper No. 790419, Warrendale, PA, 1979.