This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Designing and Testing Cylinder Head Gaskets for High Performance Sealing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The cylinder head gasketing of today's internal combustion engines is highly complex and becoming even more so as the engines are being made lighter while developing higher outputs. Delicate stress distribution balancing between the combustion and liquid sealing components is required. Rigorous testing, both static and dynamic, is required to insure long term, high performance sealing. Specialized test equipment and instrumentation is utilized during this testing. This paper presents some of the techniques used in the design of cylinder head gaskets. It also depicts some of the specific tests that are conducted and test results that are required before the gaskets are released to production.
|Technical Paper||Contribution of Nuclear Physics to Engine Design:Application of Surface Layer Activation to Tappett Rotation Measurements|
|Technical Paper||New Evaluation Method of Metal Head Gasket|
CitationCzernik, D., "Designing and Testing Cylinder Head Gaskets for High Performance Sealing," SAE Technical Paper 840188, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840188.
- Czernik Daniel “Head Gasket Designs for Bi-Metal Engines,” “Renews,” Kona Communications March/April 1982
- Czernik D.E. Moerk, J.C. Jr. Robbins F.A. “The Relationship Of A Gasket's Physical Properties To The Sealing Phenomenon.” SAE Paper 650432 May 1965
- McDowell Donald J. “Choose The Right Gasket Material,” “Assembly Engineering.” Hitchcock Publishing Co. October 1978
- Czernik D. E. “Gasketing the Internal Combustion Engine.” Paper 800073 presented at SAE Congress and Exposition Detroit February 1980
- Crouch L. E. Czernik D. E. Labrecque V. J. Lillis S. M. “A Well Designed Cylinder Head Gasket -- That Thin Margin of Success.” Paper presented at SAE National Powerplant Meeting Chicago October 1963
- Pearlstein Robert S. Pyle Lawrence F. “Cylinder Head Gasket Sealing of Indirect Combustion Diesel Engines.” SAE Paper 830211 February 1983