This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methanol Diesel Engine and Its Application to a Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A diesel engine with a dual-fuel (methanol-diesel) injection system has been developed, and the practicality of a prototype bus equipped with the developed engine has been confirmed.
This study showed that methanol could be substituted for diesel fuel at the rates of 86 vol. percent in transient mode operation and 94 vol. percent in steady-state operation. Driving performance was equivalent to that of a conventional bus. Fuel economy of the dual-fuel injection engine was the same as that of a conventional diesel engine in steady-state operation, and decreased by about 9 percent in transient mode operation. The dual-fuel injection engine met the Japanese regulations on exhaust emissions stipulated in 1979. Exhaust smoke and particulate emissions were extremely reduced to the level of smoke-free operation.
|Technical Paper||The Utilization of Alternative Fuels in a Diesel Engine Using Different Methods|
|Technical Paper||Optimization of the Performance of a Methanol/Dimethyl Ether Fuelled Compression Ignition Engine|
CitationSeko, T., Hori, M., Suto, H., and Kobayashi, S., "Methanol Diesel Engine and Its Application to a Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 840116, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840116.
- Moses C. A. Likos W. E. Allsup J. R. Clingenpeel J. M. “Utilization of ethanol in diesel engines for farming application” 5th International Alcohol Fuel Technology (AFT) Symposium May 1982
- Deshpande A. S. Lawson A. Last A. J. “Operation of a heavy-duty truck diesel engine on unstabilized methanol/diesel fuel emulsion and preliminary demonstration road test data” 4th AFT Symposium Oct. 1980
- Sugiyama H. “Utilization of alcohol as a fuel in diesel engines” 4th AFT Symposium Oct. 1980
- Pischinger F. F. Havenith C. Hilger U. “Investigation on turbocharged alcohol diesel engines with different combustion systems” 5th AFT Symposium May 1982
- Cruz J. Chancellor W. Goss J. “Dual-fueling a diesel engine with carbureted alcohol” 3rd AFT Symposium May 1979
- Scott W. M. Cummings D. R. “Dual fuelling the truck diesel with methanol” 2nd AFT Symposium Nov. 1977
- Neitz A. Chmela F. “The M.A.N. methanol engine powering city buses” 5th AFT Symposium May 1982
- Adelman H. G. “Development of an alcohol-spark-assisted automobile diesel engine” 5th AFT Symposium May 1982
- Matsuno M. “Alcohol engine emissions-emphasis on unregulated compounds” 3rd AFT Symposium May 1979
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) “Standard for emission of particulate regulation for diesel-fueled light-duty vehicles and light-duty truck” Federal register 45 45 March 1980