This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
DIESEL COMBUSTION CETANE NUMBER EFFECTS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Combustion studies have been made in a prechamber diesel engine, with one cylinder instrumented for pressure histograms using a processing digital oscilloscope. Hydrocarbon, carbon monoxide, NOx, and smoke emissions for the complete engine exhaust also were measured. Fuels with natural and chemically derived cetane numbers spanning a range from 35 CN to 54 CN were investigated.
This paper discusses the effects of cetane number on combustion characteristics, such as ignition delay and rates of pressure rise. Engine emission data also are reviewed. Data include operation at fully warmed-up and partially warmed-up conditions.
CitationOlree, R. and Lenane, D., "DIESEL COMBUSTION CETANE NUMBER EFFECTS," SAE Technical Paper 840108, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840108.
- Unzelman, G. H. “Potential Impact of Cracking on Diesel Fuel Quality” 47th Annual Fluid Cat Cracking Symposium, Katalistiks b.v. Amsterdam, Netherlands May 18-19 1983
- Riley, D. J. “The New GM 6.2-Liter V-8 Diesel Engine-Designed by Chevrolet” SAE Paper 820115 , SAE International Congress Detroit, Michigan February 22-26 1982
- Anderson, M. J. Wilson, G. C. “Effectiveness of Amyl Nitrate In A Full-Scale Diesel Engine” SAE National Diesel Engine Meeting Chicago, Illinois October 29 1951
- Fortnagel, M. Hardenburg, H. O. Gairing, M. “Requirements of Diesel Fuel Quality-Effects of Poor Quality Fuels” American Petroleum Institute 47th Midyear Refining Meeting New York, New York May 11 1982
- Carnus, M. J. “Influence du carburant sur les performances et les emissions de moteur Diesel” Ingenieurs De L'Automobile April-May 1981
- Henein, H. A. Bolt, J. A. “Ignition Delay in Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 670007 , SAE Transactions , Section 1 78
- ASTM D613-Test For Ignition Quality of Diesel Fuels
- Wong, C. L. Steere, D. E. “The Effects of Diesel Fuel Properties and Engine Operating Conditions on Ignition Delay” SAE Paper 821231 , SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Toronto, Ontario, Canada October 18-21 1982
- Hardenberg, H. O. Hase, F. W. “An Empirical Formula for Computing the Pressure Rise Delay of a Fuel from its Cetane Number and from the Relevant Parameters of Direct-Injection Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 790493 , SAE Congress Detroit, Michigan February-March 1979
- Obert, E. F. Internal Combustion Engines 3rd Edition International Textbook Co. Scranton, Pennsylvania 1968
- Anderton, D. Waters, P. E. “Effect of Fuel Composition on Diesel Engine Noise and Performance” SAE Paper 820235 , SAE International Congress Detroit, Michigan February 22-26 1982
- “Alternate Fuels for Medium-Speed Diesel Engines (AFFMSDE) Project-First Research Phase Final Report-Off-Specification Diesel Fuels, Simulated Coal-Derived Fuel and Methanol” FRA Report No. FRA/ORD-80/40.1 Southwest Research Institute San Antonio, Texas January 1981
- Yu, R. C. Kuo, T. W. Shahed, S. M. Chang, T. W. Xian, J. “The Effect of Mixing Rate, End of Injection, and Sac Volume on Unburned Hydrocarbons from a DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 831294 , SAE International Off-Highway Meeting Milwaukee, Wisconsin September 13 1983
- Webster, G. D. Chiappetta, S. J. Ho, J. “Tar Sands Derived Fuels Tested in an Air Cooled High Speed Diesel” SAE Paper 831206 , SAE West Coast International Meeting Vancouver, B. C. August 8-11 1983
- Higashisono, M. Takeuchi, K. Hara, H. “The New Isuzu 1.8-Litre 4-Cylinder Diesel Engine for The United States Market” SAE Paper 820116 , SAE International Congress Detroit, Michigan February 22-26 1982