This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Consideration on Piston Second Land Pressure and Oil Consumption of Internal Combustion Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Piston second land pressure, combustion pressure, and oil consumption (OC) of a four-stroke gasoline engine have been measured to investigate the relationship between 2nd land pressure and OC. Test results have revealed that OC increases when, past midway in the expansion stroke, 2nd land pressure exceeds combustion pressure and, inversely OC decreases when the 2nd land pressure is below combustion pressure. Based on both theoretical analyses and experiments, this paper describes the reason for the above observation and proposes a method for reducing OC.
CitationMiyachika, M., Hirota, T., and Kashiyama, K., "A Consideration on Piston Second Land Pressure and Oil Consumption of Internal Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 840099, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840099.
- Ting L.L. Mayer, J.E. Jr. “Piston Ring Lubrication and Cylinder Bore Wear Analysis, Part 1 - Theory.” ASME Trans., Paper No.73-Lub-25
- Ting L.L. Mayer, J.E. Jr. “Piston Ring Lubrication and Cylinder Bore Wear Analyses, part II - Theory Verification.” ASME Trans., Paper No.73-Lub-27
- Furuhama S. “On the Flow of Gas Through the Piston-Rings, Second Report.” J. JSME 27 174 1961
- Furuhama S. Hiruma M. Tsuzida M. “Piston Ring Motion and Its Influence on Engine Tribology.” SAE Paper No. 79086 Milwaukee Sept. 10-13 1979
- Munro R. “Blow-By in Relation to Piston and Ring Features.” SAE Paper No. 810932 1981
- Furuhama S. “On the Flow of Gas Through the Piston-Rings, First Report.” J. JSME 27 174 1961
- Shaw M.C. Macks, E.F. “Analysis and Lubrication of Bearings.” McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. 1949
- Hase Y. Nakajima Y. Nanbu S. Murase I. “Nissan Oil Econometer Permits the Measurement of Engine Oil Consumption.” SAE Paper No. 810754
- Curtis J.M. “Piston Ring Dynamics and Its Influence on the Power Cylinder Performance.” SAE Paper No. 810935