This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of a Ceramic Rotor in a Cummins T46 Turbocharger
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper documents the successful operation of a modified Cummins T46 turbocharger with a ceramic rotor. This turbocharger is modified to incorporate a 4.6 inch diameter ceramic turbine rotor (pressureless sintered silicon nitride) on the hot end. These results document the most complete ceramic turbine rotor performance map, for a large ceramic turbocharger rotor, available to date.
CitationWalson, R., Kubo, I., Sudhakar, V., Bryzik, W. et al., "Performance of a Ceramic Rotor in a Cummins T46 Turbocharger," SAE Technical Paper 840014, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840014.
- Kamo R., et al, “Use of Ceramics for Adiabatic Diesel Engines,” 6th International Symposium on Ceramics, Bologna, Italy, (26-28 Sept., 1983).
- Rottenkolber P.; Lauger M., Storm R., and Frediette F., “Design, Fabrication, and Testing of an experimental Alpha Silicon Carbide Turbocharger Rotor,” SAE Paper 810523 (Feb. 23-27, 1981)
- DeBell G. C. and Secord J. R., “Development and Testing of a Ceramic Turbocharger Rotor,” ASME Paper 81-6T-195 (March 9-12, 1981).
- Arnold D. J., “Stress and Heat Transfer Analyses and Design of Cummins Engine Company/Toshiba Turbocharger Ceramic Wheel-Metal Shaft Assembly”, Sciences Research, Inc., Unpublished.
- Miller B. J. and MacDonald P. S., “Design Guidance for the Junction between the Silicon Nitride Radial Turbine Wheel and Metal Shaft”, Analysis and Design Application Co. Ltd., Unpublished.