This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Deposit Control in the Caterpillar 1H2 Engine Test - A Statistical Approach to Identifying Engine Oil Component Effects
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Developing engine oil formulations for today's marketplace requires a careful balance between cost and performance. Definition of optimized formulations requires detailed knowledge of the quantitative relationships between performance, or deposit control, and additive component concentrations. To develop these relationships, a series of multigrade engine oils formulated with two levels of a dispersant olefin copolymer VI improver were evaluated using the Caterpillar 1H2 engine test procedure. The performance package components and/or their levels in these oils were varied according to statistically designed, fractional factorial patterns. This approach provides an estimate of the effect of each component and their interactions. It also provides insight into the inherent test variability associated with TGF, WTD and the land and groove deposits which make up these ratings.
|Technical Paper||A Fatigue S-N Curve Transformation Technique and Its Applications in Fatigue Data Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Probabilistic Assessment of CAE Models|
CitationKoller, R., Galluccio, R., and Stambaugh, R., "Deposit Control in the Caterpillar 1H2 Engine Test - A Statistical Approach to Identifying Engine Oil Component Effects," SAE Technical Paper 831723, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831723.
- ASTM Special Technical Publication 509a, Part II 1979
- SAE J183 FEB80, Engine Oil Performance and Engine Service Classification
- American Petroleum Institute Publication 1551 6 Edition February 1982
- Box, G. E. P. Hunter, W. G. Hunter, J. S. STATISTICS FOR EXPERIMENTERS John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York 1978
- Cochran, W. G. Cox, G. M. EXPERIMENTAL DESIGNS John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York 1976
- Daniel, Cuthbert “Use of Half-Normal Plots in Interpreting Factorial Two-Level Experiments” Technometrics 1 4 1959