This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Interactions of Additives and Lubricating Base Oils
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive lubricating oils consist of base oils and a variety of chemical additives. In this study, interactions among an antioxidant (ZDDP), a dispersant (succinimide), and a detergent (calcium sulfonate) are studied in terms of oxidation stability. Oxidation tests were conducted at 60 °C and 160 °C using the free radical titration test and the thin film oxygen uptake test respectively. Complex chemical interactions in terms of oxidation stability were found among the additives, as well as the additives with the polar species in the base oil. Optimum oxidation concentrations for some of the additives were observed. The effects of temperatures on the interaction were also described.
|Technical Paper||Detergent-Polymer Interactions in Hydrocarbon Solvents: A Viscometric Study|
|Technical Paper||Calcium Sulfonate-Based Coatings as Used in the Automotive Industry Today|
CitationHsu, S. and Lin, R., "Interactions of Additives and Lubricating Base Oils," SAE Technical Paper 831683, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831683.
- Hsu, S.M. Ku, C.S. Lin, R.S. “Relationship Between Lubricating Basestock Composition and the Effects of Additives on Oxidation Stability,” SAE SP 526, “Base Oils for Automotive Lubricants,” SAE Warrendale, PA 1982
- Ku, C.S. Hsu, S.M. “A Thin-Film Oxygen Uptake Test for the Evaluation of Automotive Lubricants,” ASLE Preprint 82-L-1D-1 ASL Chicago, IL 1982
- Mahoney, LR., et al. “The Determination of the Antioxidant Capacity of New- and Used Lubricants: Method and Application,” Ind. Eng. Chem., Prod. R&D 17 250 1978
- National Bureau of Standards Standard Reference Material 1817 NBS Washington, DC 20234 1983
- Inoue, K. Watanabe, H. “Interactions-of Engine Oil Additives,” ASLE Preprint No. 82-AM-1B1 ASLE Chicago, IL 1982
- Vipper, A.B., et al. “Investigations of Interaction Between Succinimides and Antioxidants of Difference Structures. Effect of Interaction on Efficiency and Synergism of Additive Packages,” Proceedings of the OSLE/ASLE International Lubrication Conference Sakurai T. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Co. 1975
- Vipper, A.B., et al. “Additive Structure -Its Effect on Solubilizing Action and Performance of Lube Oils,” Neftekhimiya 8 5 797 1968
- Otsubo, K. “Effects of Dispersant - Detergent Additives on Friction and Wear Behavior,” Proceedings of the JSLE/ASLE International Lubrication Conference Sakurai T. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Co. 1975
- Rounds, F.G. “Some Effects of Amines on Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate Antiwear Performance as Measured in 4-Ball Wear Tests,” ASLE Trans. 24 4 431 440 1981
- Zaslavsky, Y.S., et al. “Investigation into the Detergent Action of Additives for Motor Oils in the Presence of an Electric Field,” ASME J. of Lubrication Tech. 90 125 129 1968
- Rounds, F.G. “Additive Interactions and Their Effect on the Performance of a Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate,” ASLE Trans. 21 2 91 101 1977