This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of “Knee-Thigh-Hip” Protection Criterion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 27th Stapp Car Crash Conference with IRCOBI and Child Injury and Restraint Conference with IRCOBI (1983)
A series of fresh human cadaver and Part 572 dummy tests was performed under different conditions which were comparable to those of real-world accidents. A European car model mounted on a sled was used; a pair of knee-targets was fixed directly to the car body in front of the passenger knees. Test conditions are summarized as follows: human-3-pt-belted cadaver with a sled impact velocity of 50 or 65 kph; 2-pt (thoracic)-belted-cadaver with a velocity of 65 kph, the legs being positioned normally or in an oblique manner.
Since the knee-thigh-hip tolerance is related to the shape and duration of the impact pulse, these interactions were the subject of a study.
The tolerance to fractures depends to a great extent on the subject's bone condition. In order to predict the risk of fracture for the whole population from the tolerance found in the tested subjects, studies of mineralization and bone strength were carried out on the compact-bone-sections taken from the femurs of the tested cadavers.
Tests were conducted also, using a Part 572 dummy, which enabled to predict a criterion for the knee-thigh-hip protection matched to this surrogate.
Discussion of similar attempts, such as F.I.C. (Femur Injury Criterion) and K.T.H.I.C. is included.
|Technical Paper||An Introduction to Lower Limb Injuries|
|Technical Paper||Investigation of Femur Response to Longitudinal Impact|
|Technical Paper||Biomechanics of Bone and Tissue: A Review of Material Properties and Failure Characteristics|
- C. Got - I.R.B.A. Raymond Poincaré Hospital Garches, France
- A. Patel - I.R.B.A. Raymond Poincaré Hospital Garches, France
- Y. C. Leung - Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics Peugeot-Renault Association (France)
- B. Hue - Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics Peugeot-Renault Association (France)
- A. Fayon - Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics Peugeot-Renault Association (France)
- C. Tarrière - Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics Peugeot-Renault Association (France)
- H. Hamon - Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics Peugeot-Renault Association (France)
CitationLeung, Y., Hue, B., Fayon, A., Tarrière, C. et al., "Study of “Knee-Thigh-Hip” Protection Criterion," SAE Technical Paper 831629, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831629.
- Nyquist G.W. “A pulse-shape dependent Knee-Thigh-Hip injury criterion for use with the Part 572dummy” ISO/TC 22/SC 12/WG. 6 [USA-12] No. 117 June 1982
- Cooke F.W. Nagel D.A. “Biomechanical analysis of knee impact” Proceedings of 13rd Stapp Car Crash Conference. S.A.E. 690800 Dec. 2-4 1969 117 133
- Melvin J.W. Stalnaker R.L. Alem N.M. Benson J.B. Mohan D. “Impact response and tolerance of the lower extremities” Proceedings of 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference, S.A.E. 751159 Nov. 17-19 1975
- Melvin J.W. Stalnaker R.L. “Tolerance and response of the knee-femur-pelvis complex to axial impact” HSRI report UM-HSRI 76-17, MVMA project No. 4.18 1976
- Viano D.C. Culver C.C. Hant R.C. Melvin J.W. Bender M. Culver R.H. Levine R.S. “Bolster impacts to the knee and tibia of human cadavers and an anthropomorphic dummy'” proceedings of 22 nd Stapp Car Crash conference Oct. 24-26 1978
- Powell W.R. Advani S.H. Clark R.N. Ojala S.J. Holt D.J. “Investigation of femur response to longitudinal impact” Proceedings of 18th Stapp Car Crash Conference, S.A.E. paper 741190 December 4-5 1974
- Powell W.R. Ojala S.J. Advani S.H. Martin R.B. “Cadaver Femur Response to Longitudinal Impacts” Proceedings of 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference, S.A.E. paper 751160 1975
- Hering W.E. Patrick L.M. “Response Comparisons of the Human Cadaver Knee and a Part 572 Knee Impacts by Crushable Materials” proceedings of 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper 770939 Oct. 19-21 1977
- Patrick L.M. Kroell C.R. Mertz H.J. Jr. “Force on the Human Body in Simulated Crashes” proceedings of 9th Stapp Car Crash Conference Oct. 20-21 1965
- Patrick L.M. Mertz H.J. Jr. Kroell C.R. “Cadaver Knee, Chest and Head Impact Loads” Proceedings of 11th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper 670913 Oct. 1967
- Kroell C.K. Schneider D.C. Noham A.M. “Comparative Knee Impact Response of Part 572 Dummy and Cadaver Subjects” proceedings of 20th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper 760817 Oct. 18-20 1976
- Viano D.C. “Consideration for a Femur Injury Criterion” proceedings of 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper 770925 Oct. 19-21 1977
- Rybicki E.F. Simonen F.A. Weiss E.B. “On the Mathematical Analysis of Stress in the Human Femur” J. Biomechanics 1972 5 203 215
- King J.J. Fan W.R.S. Vargovick J.R. “Femur Load Injury Criteria - A Realistic Approach” proceedings of 17th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper 730984 Nov. 12-13 1973
- Gordon S.L. Orticke P.N. Prince J. Mc Meekin R. “Dynamic Characteristics of Human Leg Joints” proceedings of 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper 770924 Oct. 19-21 1977
- Calverale P.M. Garro A. Lorenzi G.L. “Car Accident Mathematical Model, Femur and Pelvis Stress Analysis” proceedings of IRCOBI 1979 418 428
- Brun-Cassan F. Leung Y.C. Tarrière C. Fayon A. “Determination of Knee-Femur-Pelvis Tolerance from the Simulation of our Frontal Impacts” proceedings of IRCOBI 1982
- Eppinger R.H. “Prediction of Thoracic Injuries Using Measurable Experimental Cadavers” proceedings of the 6th ESV Conference Washington, USA Oct. 1976
- Currey J.D. “The Mechanical Consequences of Variation in the Mineral Contents of Bone” J. Biomechanics 1 11 2 1968
- Vose G.P. Kubala A.L. Hum. Biol. 31 261 1959
- Robinson R.A. “An Electron-Microscopic Study of the Crystalline Inorganic Component of Bone; its Relationship to the Organic Matrix” J. Bone and Joint Surgery. 389 435 1952
- Evans F.G. “Stress and Strain in Bones” C.C. Thomas Publisher Springfield, ill. 1957
- Yamada H. “Strength of Biological Materials” Evans F.G. the Williams and Wilkins Co.
- Kroell C.K. Schneider D.C. Nahum A.M. “Comparative Knee Impact Response of the Part 572 Dummy and Cadaver Subjects” proceedings of 20th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper 760817 1976
- Horsch J.D. Patrick L.M. “Cadaver and Dummy Knee Impact Response” SAE 760799 Oct. 1976