This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durability, Repeatability and Reproducibility of the NHTSA Side Impact Dummy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 27th Stapp Car Crash Conference with IRCOBI and Child Injury and Restraint Conference with IRCOBI (1983)
A series of seventy-two pendulum-type impact tests were performed on six NHTSA Side Impact Dummies (SID) to assess dummy repeatability and reproducibility. A quantity called the Normalized Integral Square Error (NISE) is used to quantify the difference between acceleration responses from repeat tests. Limits for the NISE are developed to define acceptable differences in terms of phase shift, amplitude, and shape. Results indicate that the SID is repeatable in all of the test cases considered and fairly reproducible in 90° lateral impacts although this is not shown conclusively.
Before the testing could be performed it was necessary to correct several durability problems with the SID that were identified while early production versions of the dummy were being tested. These modifications are described briefly.
CitationDonnelly, B., Morgan, R., and Eppinger, R., "Durability, Repeatability and Reproducibility of the NHTSA Side Impact Dummy," SAE Technical Paper 831624, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831624.
- Morgan, Richard M. Marcus, Jeffery H. Eppinger, Rolf H. “Correlations of Side Impact Dummy/Cadaver Tests,” 25th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 811008 October 1981
- Jovanovski, Jovan “Crash Data Analysis and Model Validation Using Correlation Techniques,” International Congress and Exposition Cobo Hall, Detroit, Michigan February 23-27 1981 SAE Paper 810471
- Donnelly, B. R. “Development of a Specification for the NHTSA Side Impact Dummy Thoracic Shock Absorber,” Calspan Report No. 6983-V-1, October 1982, Contract No. DTNH22-81-C-07545
- Donnelly, B. R. “Assembly Manual for the NHTSA Side Impact Dummy,” Calspan Report No. 7073-V-1, March 1982, Contract No. DTNH22-82-C-07366
- McAdams, H. T. “The Repeatability of Dummy Performance,” Proceedings of the Symposium on Human Impact Response held at the General Motors Research Laboratories Warren, Michigan October 1972
- Foster, J. King Kortoe, James O. Wolanin, Michael J. “Hybrid III - A Biomechanically Based Crash Test Dummy,” 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference October 19-21 1977 770938
- Tennant, J. A. Jensen, R. H. Potter, R. A. “GM-ATD 502 Anthropomorphic Dummy - Development and Evaluation,” Fifth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles June 4-7 1974 London, England
- Massing, Daniel E. Naab, Kenneth N. “Performance Evaluation of Test Dummies with Flesh Parts Produced with Substitute Foaming Compounds,” Final Report. Contract No. DOT-HS-6-01514, Calspan Report No. ZM-6015-V-1, July 1978
- Naab, Kenneth Baum, A. Stephen “Establishment of the Repeatability of Performance of the SA103C Three-Year-Old Child Test Dummies,” Final Report. Contract No. DOT-HS-8-02022, Calspan Report No. 6385-V-1, June 1979