This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Structure of European Research into the Biomechanics of Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 27th Stapp Car Crash Conference with IRCOBI and Child Injury and Restraint Conference with IRCOBI (1983)
This paper reviews briefly some of the trends in biomechanical research in Europe. Current terminology is discussed and a set of definitions is proposed for the common descriptors of injury, injury severity and performance criteria based on the responses observed in the living human body, in cadavers and in other surrogates. Some of the more obvious gaps in current biomechanical knowledge are discussed, particularly the need to examine the consequences of trauma at the cellular level, and some problems of experimental design in relation to research as the basis for legislation in Europe are outlined.
CitationAldman, B., Mellander, H., and Mackay, M., "The Structure of European Research into the Biomechanics of Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 831610, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831610.
- Mackay G.M. “Protection of Vehicle Occupants” Proc. European Motor Vehicle Symposium. E.E.C. Brussels I 167 195 December 1975
- Aldman B. “Synthesis of the E.E.C. Biomechanics Programme” Proc. Seminar on Biomechanics of Impacts in Road Accidents. E.E.C. Brussels March 1983
- Chapon A. Verriest J.P. Dedoyan J. Tranchessec R. Artru R. “Research on Brain Vulnerability from Real Accidents” Proc. Seminar on Biomechanics of Impacts in Road Accidents. E.E.C. Brussels III-I March 1983
- Bull J.P. Mackay G.M. “Some Characteristics of Collisions, The Population of Car Occupant Casualties and their relevance to Performance Testing” Proc. IRCOBI Conf. ONSER, Lyon 13 26 September 1978
- Verriest J.P. “Thorax and Upper Abdomen; Kinematics, Tolerance Levels and Injury Criteria” Proc. Int. School on Biomechanics of Impacts. I.C.T.S. Rome. May 1983
- Koch M. Nilsson-Ehle L. “A Practical Statistical Approach to Set Specifications in Car Safety Engineering” S.A.E. Paper 830470 March 1983
- Mackay G.M. Bull J.P. Gloyns P.F. “The Correlation of Proposed Injury Criteria with Accident Data” Proc. Conf. Instn. Mech. Engrs. London 65 78 July 1978
- Searle J.A. Bethell J. Baggaley G. “The Variation of Human Tolerance to Impact and its Effect on the Design and Testing of Automotive Impact Performance” Proc. 22nd Stapp Conf. S.A.E. Warrendale, Pa. 1 32 October 1978