This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sunflower Oil Esters: An Alternative Fuel for Direct Injection Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 12, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Alternative fuels have received considerable attention since the early seventies with alcohol being initially most prominent. In particular ethyl alcohol seemed very attractive because of possible on-farm production and the renewable source material. Because alcohol is not a very suitable compression ignition fuel, plant oils began to be investigated as alternative fuels. It was shown that these oils cause coking of the injector nozzles in direct injection engines and esters of plant oils were tested as a possible solution to the problem. From these tests fuel properties were determined and specifications derived. Combustion studies were carried out and compatability tests performed. Engine durability was tested under a manufacturer's prescribed cyclic load conditions over a period of 1500 hours with extremely good results.
CitationHawkins, C., Fuls, J., and Hugo, F., "Sunflower Oil Esters: An Alternative Fuel for Direct Injection Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 831356, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831356.
- Bruwer, J.J., Boshoff B., Hugo F., Fuls J., Hawkins C., v.d. Walt A., Engelbrecht A. and du Plessis L.M. The utilization of sunflower seed oil as a renewable fuel for diesel engines. National Energy Symposium of the A.S.A.E. 1980.
- Hawkins, C.S. Alcohol/Sunflower oil esters: fuel performance tests in compression ignition engines. Proceedings of the Fifth International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium, Auckland, 1982.
- Skinner, W. Korrosiebestandhede van moontlike konstruksiemateriale by gebruik van sonneblomolie as brandstof vir dieselenjins. Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Pretoria. 1982.
- Hawkins, C.S. and Fuls, J. Comparative combustion studies on various plant oil esters and the long term effects of an ethyl ester on a compression ignition engine. International Conference on Plant and Vegetable Oils as Fuels. Fargo, 1982.
- Van der Walt, A.N. and Hugo, F.J.C. Cyclic load testing of agricultural tractors in fuel research - instrumentation and equipment for a test facility. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Energy Use Management. Berlin, 1981.