This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experiments on Cylinder Pressure Pulsation and Distribution in a Swirl-Chamber-Type Automotive Diesel Engine: Idling Knocking Noise Induced by Non-Uniformly Distributed Cylinder Pressure Pulsation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 12, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The generation mechanism of the knocking-like, characteristic engine noise in a swirl-chamber-type, automotive engine was investigated.
This characteristic engine noise was particularly dominant in cold weather and at idling conditions.
It was found that in cold weather, cylinder pressure pulsations of significant amplitude can be induced in the main chamber by the cavity resonance of the swirl chamber and throat, but the pulsations distribute non-uniformly on the piston top surfaces.
Collisons between the pistons and the cylinder liners were induced by the pulsating, non-uniformly distributed cylinder pressure, therefore engine structure noise was generated.
|Technical Paper||Investigation of an Opposed Piston Light Aircraft Engine|
|Technical Paper||Heat Balance Provides Insight into Modern Engine Fuel Utilization|
CitationOkamura, H. and Furubayashi, M., "Experiments on Cylinder Pressure Pulsation and Distribution in a Swirl-Chamber-Type Automotive Diesel Engine: Idling Knocking Noise Induced by Non-Uniformly Distributed Cylinder Pressure Pulsation," SAE Technical Paper 831329, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831329.
- Priede T. Noise due to Combustion in Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines, Advances in Automobile Engineering (Part III) Noise and Vibration Pergamon Press 1965
- “Simultaneous Measurement of Cylinder and Swirl-Chamber Pressures and Pressure Difference in a Small COMET Diesel” D.P. 76/258 Ricardo Consulting Engineers
- Sander W. Steidle W. Wacker E. “PISTON MOVEMENT AND ITS INFLUENCE ON NOISE OF AUTOMOTIVE ENGINES” SAE Paper 790272
- Hickling R. Feldmaier D.A. Sung S.H. “Knock-induced cavity resonances in open chamber diesel engines.” J. Acoust, Soc. Am. 65 6 June 1979
- Hickling R. Chen F.H.K. Feldmaier D.A. “Pressure Pulsations in Engine Cylinders” ENGINE NOISE Excitation, Vibration, and Radiation Hickling Robert Kamal Mounir M. PLENUM PRESS 1982
- Okamura H. Experiments on the Transmission Paths and Dynamic Behavior of Engine Structure Vibrations, Part 1, Background and static tests, Part 2, Motoring test J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 67 2 Feb. 1980
- Okamura H. The Influence of Piston Slap and Crankshaft Torsional Vibration on Engine Structure Noise in High Speed Diesel Engines proceeding of Noise CON ‘79 Purdue Univ.
- Furubayashi M. Mizuta K. Sato Y. Okamura H. Analysis of Idling Knocking on a Swirl Chamber Diesel Engine SAE of Japan 822A49 1982
- Kobayashi Y. Sound and Sound Wave (Fundamental Physical Library 4) Shokabo Press 1973 107
- Okamura H. Furubayashi M. Experiments on the idling knock noise generation mechanism in swirl-chamber-type diesel engines JSME, Preprint, 830-3 April 1983