This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Photographic Studies of Diesel Combustion in a Quiescent Combustion Chamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 12, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An 8.5 inch bore two stroke engine has been modified into a photographic test rig in which pictures of the complete combustion chamber could be taken vertically upwards through a perspex crowned piston, using a high speed camera.
Tests were carried out using several nozzles of the same total hole area. Two fuelling rates and three different air supply pressures were used. At each test condition thirteen cycles of fired data were recorded on 16 mm high speed colour film. At the same time synchronised transient cylinder pressure and fuel injection data were recorded using an on-line data acquisition system.
Correlation of jet development from photographs with heat release deduced from the cylinder pressure diagrams using a standard single zone technique show differences due to changes in the hole configuration and in air supply pressure, with approximately constant fuel injection rates.
CitationFalcus, M., Clough, E., Whitehouse, N., and Nowell, E., "Photographic Studies of Diesel Combustion in a Quiescent Combustion Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 831292, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831292.
- Withrow, L.L. Boyd, T.A. Photographic flame studies in the gasoline engine Industrial and Eng. Chem. 23 539 547 1931
- Bowditch, F.W. A new tool for combustion research - a quartz piston engine S.A.E. preprint 150B, National Auto Week 1960
- Nagoa, F. Ikegami, M. Kujota, Y. Mitsuda, T. Kawatei, K. A study of combustion in direct-injection diesel engines Bulletin of the J.S.M.E. 16 588 598 1973
- Whitehouse, N.D. Sareen, B.K. Prediction of heat release in a quiescent chamber diesel allowing for fuel air mixing S.A.E. Paper 740084 1974
- Whitehouse, N.D. Abughres, S.M. Calculation of fuel/air mixing in a diesel engine with swirl for the purpose of heat release prediction. Combustion in engines 147 Instn. Mech. Engrs. London and New York 1975
- Whitehouse, N.D. Clough, E. Roberts, P.S. Investigating diesel engine combustion by means of a timed sampling valve S.A.E. Paper No. 770409 Automotive Engineering Congress 1977
- Whitehouse, N.D. Clough, E. Uhunmwangho, S.O. The development of some gaseous products during diesel engine combustion S.A.E. Paper No. 800028 Automotive Engineering Congress 1980
- Whitehouse, M.D. Clough, E. Jeje, A.B. The study of combustion in a quiescent combustion chamber diesel engine AIAA/ASME Fluids, Plasma, Thermophysical and Heat Transfer Conference St. Louis, Mo. June 1982
- Whitehouse, N.D. Abdul Hadi, M.A. The distribution of soot in the cylinder of a quiescent combustion chamber diesel engine Instn. Mech. Engrs. 196 24 1982
- Meguerdichian, M. Watson, M. Prediction of mixture formation and heat release in diesel engines S.A.E. Paper 780225 1978
- Taylor, D.H. Walsham, B.E. Combustion processes in a medium speed diesel engine Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 184 3J 67 1969-70