This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
What Automotive Design Engineers Require from the P/M Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 06, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A case is presented here for revision and augmentation of P/M specifications and standards. It focusses upon the unique properties of these materials and how they are currently treated. Using an example comparison between P/M steels and cast iron, some of the major problems encountered by designers are illustrated. Recommendations for needed changes and additions to existing specifications and standards for P/M steels are made.
CitationKaufman, S. and Mocarski, S., "What Automotive Design Engineers Require from the P/M Industry," SAE Technical Paper 831032, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831032.
- Kaufman S.M. Mocarski S. “The Effects of Small Amounts of Residual Porosity on the Mechanical Properties of P/M Forgings” Journal of Powder Metallurgy 7 1971 19 30
- Edelson B.I. Baldwin W.M. Jr. Trans. American Soc. for Metals 55 1962
- Salak A. Miskovic V. Dudrova E. Rudnayova E. “The Dependence of Mechanical Properties of Sintered Iron Compacts upon Porosity” Powder Metallurgy International 6 1974 128 132
- Stosuy A. New Perspectives in Powder Metallurgy 7 “Copper Base Powder Metallurgy” Taubenblat Pierre W. MPIF Princeton NJ 91 110
- Eloff P.C. Wilcox L.E. “Fatigue Behavior of Hot Formed Differential Pinion Gears” Modern Developments in Powder Metallurgy 7 1973 213 234
- Brown G.T. Heed J.A. “The Fatigue Performance of Some Connecting Rods Made by Powder Forging” Powder Metallurgy 16 1973 405
- Adams John S. Glover Douglas “Improved Bearings at Lower Cost via Powder Metallurgy” Metal Progress 117 8 39
- GKN Forging Materials: Specifications and Properties” GKN Group Technological Centre 2 April 1978
- Brown G.T. “Powder Metallurgy, Promises and Problems” Fourth European Symposium on Powder Metallurgy, Proceedings, Soc. Francois de Metallurgy Paris 1975 96
- Lindskog P. Grek S.E. “Reduction of Oxide Inclusions in Powder Preforms” Modern Developments in Powder Metallurgy 7 1973 285
- Eloff P.C. Kaufman S.M. “Hardenability Considerations in the Sintering of Low Alloy Iron Powder Preforms” Powder Metallurgy International 3 1971 71
- Mocarski S. “Hardenable Hot Formed Steels as a Substitute for Conventional Steels” Powder Metallurgy International 12 1980 47