This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Road Load Losses in Cars on Standard Driving Cycles and Road Tests
Published November 07, 1983 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
In order to have a better understanding of fuel consumption of vehicles in real operating conditions, the Fiat Research Center is carrying out an extensive research on an instrumented Ritmo car. The first results of this research show that the estimate of road load is quite easy by using simple laws and experimental indoor measures. But the distribution of energy losses experienced during a series of road tests reproducing actual italian use patterns can only partially be reproduced by mixes of standardized road and/or chassis dynamometer standardized tests.
CitationVisconti, A. and Sola, C., "Analysis of Road Load Losses in Cars on Standard Driving Cycles and Road Tests," SAE Technical Paper 830918, 1983.
- Morelli A. Nuccio P. Visconti A. “Automobile Aerodynamic Drag on the Road Compared with Wind Tunnel Tests” SAE PAPER 810186
- Korst H.H. Withe R.A. “Aerodynamic and Rolling Resistance of Vehicles as Obtained from Coast-Down experiments” Proc., 2nd Int. Conf on Vehicle Mech. Paris. Swets and Zeitlinger B.V. Amsterdam 6-9 September 1971
- Korst H.H. White R.A. “Evaluation of Vehicle Drag Parameters from Coast-Down Experiments Conducted under Non-Ideal Environmental Conditions” ASME Conference on Aerodynamics of Transportation Niagara Falls, N.Y. June 1979
- Larrabee E. “Determination of Aerodynamic Drag from Coast-down Tests” Symposium on Road Vehicle Aerodynamics BHRA - Cranfield (GB) January 1973
- Bergman W. “Measrement and Subjective Evaluation of Vehicle Handling” SAE Paper 730492
- Visconti A. Sola C. “Effect of Operating Conditions on Truck-Tyre Rolling Resistance: a Calculating -Method” XIX International FISITA Congress Melbourne 1982