This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Damage Tolerance of Composite Cylinders
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The fracture of pressurized graphite/epoxy cylinders was investigated and their damage tolerance assessed. The cylinders were 610 mm (24 in) long and 305 mm (12 in) in diameter and were fabricated from Hercules A370-5H/3501-6 prepreg cloth in 4-ply configurations: (0,45)s and (45,0)s. The cylinders were slit in the longitudinal direction and the critical flaw sizes for three pressure levels were determined. Experiments on coupons of similar construction loaded in tension were previously conducted. The critical flaw sizes for the cylinders were well predicted from the flat coupon data corrected for the effects of curvature. In addition, circumferentially-wrapped unidirectional plies of Herecules AS1/3501-6 tape of various stacking sequences were used as selective reinforcement on several (0,45)s cylinders. There reinforcing plies did change the path of damage but did not prevent catastrophic failure.
CitationGraves, M. and Lagace, P., "Damage Tolerance of Composite Cylinders," SAE Technical Paper 830766, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830766.
- Chang, Y.P.A., "Determination of the Mechanical Properties of Graphite/Epoxy Prepreg Composite," M.I.T. Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, TELAC-82-5a, May 1982.
- Military Standard 1530A (USAF), Air Structural Integrity Program, Airplane Requirements August 1, 1975.
- Swift, T., "Damage Tolerant Analysis of Redundant Structures", AGARD Lecture Series Number 97,. Fracture Mechanics Design Methodology
- Swift, T., "Design of Redundant Structures", AGARD Lecture Series 97,. Fracture Mechanics Design Methodology
- Circular FAA Advisory: Composite Aircraft Structure, AC20-107, July 10, 1978.
- Olster, E.F., and Roy, P.A., "Tolerance of Advanced Composites to Ballistic Damage", Composite Materials: Testing and Design (Third Conference), ASTM STP 546, American Society for Testing and Materials 1974, pp. 583-603.
- Ghatia, N.M., and Verette, R.M., "Crack Arrestment of Laminated Composites", Fracture Mechanics of Composites, ASTM STP 593, American Society for Testing and Materials 1975, pp. 200-214.
- Sendeckyj, G.P., "Concepts for Crack Arrestment in Composites", ASTM STP 593, American Society for Testing and Materials 1975, pp. 215-226.
- Konishi, D.Y., and Lo, K.H., "Flaw Criticality of Graphite/Epoxy Structures", Nondestructive Evaluation and Flaw Criticality for Composite Materials, ASTM STP 696,, American Society for Testing and Materials 1979, pp. 125-144.
- Almard, E.Q., Emburg, J.D., and Wright, E.S., "Fracture in Laminated Materials", Interfaces in Composites, ASTM STP 452, American Society for Testing and Materials, June, 1968, pp. 107-129.
- Mullin, J.W., Berry, J.M. and Gatti, A., "Some Fundamental Fracture Mechanisms Applicable to Advanced Filament Reinforced Composites", Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 2, January, 1968, pp. 82-103.
- Mar, J.W., and Lagace, P.A., "Tensile Fracture of Graphite/Epoxy Laminates with Holes", Third International Conference on Composite Materials, Paris, France August, 1980, pp. 130-145.
- Daniel, I.M., "Biaxial Testing of Graphite/Epoxy Composites Containing Stress Concentrations --Part I", AFML-TR-76-244, December, 1976.
- Soden, P.D., Leadbetter, D., Griggs, P.R., and Eckold, G.C., "The Strength of a Filament Wound Composite Under Biaxial Loading", Composites, October, 1978, pp. 247-250.
- Daniel, I.M., Liber, T., Vanderby, R., and Killer, G.M., "Analysis of Tubular Specimen for Biaxial Testing of Composite Laminates", Third International Conference on Composite Materials, Paris, France August, 1980, pp. 900-913.
- Graves, M.J., "The Catastrophic Failure of Pressurized Graphite/Epoxy Cylinders", M.I.T. Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Ph.D. Thesis, September, 1982.
- Mar, J.W., and Lin, K.Y., "Fracture of Boron/Aluminum Composites with Discontinuities", Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 11, 1977, pp. 405-421.
- Fenner, D.N., "Stress Singularities in Composite Materials with an Arbitrarily Oriented Crack Meeting an Interface", International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 12, 1975, pp. 705-721.
- Lagace, P.A., "Static Tensile Fracture of Graphite/Epoxy", M.I.T. Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Ph.D. Thesis, June, 1982.
- Lagace, P.A., "Delamination Failure under Tensile Loading", presented at Sixth Conference on Fibrous Composites in Structural Design, New Orleans, Louisiana January, 1983.
- Folias, E.S., "Asymptotic Approximations to Crack Problems in Shells", Mechanics of Fracture, Vol. 3, Leyden, Noordhoff International, 1977, pp. 117-160.
- Erdogan, F., Ratwani, M. and Yuceoglu, U., "On the Effect of Orthotropy in a Cracked Cylindrical Shell", International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 10, No. 3, September, 1974, pp. 369-374.
- Erdogan, F., "Crack Problems in Cylindrical and Spherical Shells", Mechanics of Fracture, Vol. 3, Leyden, Noordhoff International, 1977, pp. 161-199.
- Krenk, S., "Influence of Transverse Shear on an Axial Crack in a Cylindrical Shell", International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 14, No. 2, April, 1978, pp. 123-143.