This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Data Acquisition System and Methodology for High Angle of Attack Parameter Estimation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A digital data acquisition system that has been flight tested in a Schweizer 2-32 sailplane, and the algorithms designed for high angle of attack parameter identification are described in this paper. The system is portable and self-contained. Inertial sensors are mounted in a strapdown unit. Two Kiel-probes are used for airspeed measurement. "Off-the-shelf" microelectronic components are configured to operate as a multiprocessing system. The on-board computing power is used to monitor the sensor and support system and to improve flight test effectiveness. The Estimation-Before-Modeling technique has been selected for parameter identification. A time history of a flight test maneuver that will be used in the estimation of the aerodynamic parameters also is presented.
|Technical Paper||Automotive Color & Trim: Harmony between Science and Design improving the user interface|
|Technical Paper||Component Load Predication from Wheel Force Transducer Measurements|
|Technical Paper||Splash and Spray Test Results|
CitationSri-Jayantha, M. and Stengel, R., "Data Acquisition System and Methodology for High Angle of Attack Parameter Estimation," SAE Technical Paper 830719, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830719.
- Taylor, L.W., Iliff, K.W., and Powers, B.G., "A Comparison of Newton-Raphson and Other Methods for Determining Stability Derivatives from Flight Data", AIAA Paper No. 69-315, 1969.
- Stalford, H.L., and Ramachandran, S., "Application of the Estimation-Before-Modeling (EBM) System Identification Method to the High Angle of Attack/sideslip Flight of T-2C Jet Trainer Aircraft - Vol 11, Simulation Study Using T-2C Wind Tunnel Model Data, Report No. NADC-76097-30, June 1978.
- Fratter, C, "Determination of Aerodynamic Coefficients for the Avionics Research Aircraft using the Estimation-Before-Modeling Technique", M.S.E. Thesis, 1591-T, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Oct. 1982.
- Sri-Jayantha, M., and Stengel, R.F., "A Microprocessor-based Data Acquisition System for Stall/Spin Research", to appear in IEEE Transactions on Aerospace Electronic Systems, (also AIAA Paper No. 81-2177).
- Redress, H.A., "An Overview of Parameter Estimation Techniques and Applications in Aircraft Flight Testing", NASA TN D-7947, Apr. 1973, pp. 1-18.
- Iliff, K.W., and Maine, R.E., "NASA Dryden's Experience in Parameter Estimation and its Uses in Flight Test", AIAA 9th Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference, AIAA-82-1373, Aug. 1982.
- Howard, J., "The Determination of Lateral Stability and Control Derivatives from Flight Data", Canadian Aeronautics and Space Journal, Mar. 1967, pp. 127-134.
- Fredriech, H., "Determination of Stability Derivatives from Flight Test Results by Means of the Regression Analysis", AGARD-CP-172, May 1975, pp. 20-1 to 20-8.
- Wingrove, R.C., "Estimation of Longitudinal Aerodynamic Coefficients and Comparison with Wind-Tunnel Data", NASA TN D-7947, Apr. 1974, pp. 125-147.
- Gerlach, O.H., "The Determination of Stability Derivatives and Performance Characteristics from Dynamic Manoeuvres", AGARD-CP-85, May 1971, pp. 16-1 to 16-23.
- Klein, V., "Identification Evaluation Methods", AGARD-LS-104, Nov. 1979, pp. 2-1 to 2-21.
- Gracey, W., "Measurement of Aircraft Speed and Altitude", NASA RP 1046, May 1980.
- Schneider, J.W., "The Effect of Placing Static Ports on a Kiel-Pitot Tube Behind the Kiel Tube Outlet Ports", Undergraduate Independent Work, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, May 1982.
- Gardenhire, L.W., "Sampling and Filtering", AGARD-AG-160, Vol.1, 1976, pp. 6-1 to 6-12.
- Katz, P., "Digital Control Using Microprocessors", Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliff, 1981.
- Hamel, P.G., "Determination of Aircraft Dynamic Stability and Control Parameters from Flight Testing", AGARD-LS-114, May 1981, pp. 10-1 to 10-21.
- Gelb, A., "Applied Optimal Estimation", MIT Press, Cambridge, Sept. 1980.
- Carlson, N.A., "Fast Triangular Formulation of the Square Root Filter", AIAA Journal, Vol. 11, No. 9, Sept. 1973, pp. 1259-1265.
- Tapley, B.D., and Peters, J.G., "Sequential Estimation Algorithm Using a Continuous UDUT Covariance Factorization", Journal of Guidance and Control, Vol. 3, No. 4, July-Aug. 1980, pp. 326-331.
- Bierman, G.J., "Fixed Interval Smoothing with Discrete Measurements", International Journal of Control, Vol. 18, No. 1, 1973, pp. 65-75.
- Klein, V., "Determination of Airplane Model Structure from Flight Data by Using Modified Stepwise Regression", NASA-TP-1916, 1981.
- Trankle, T.L., Vincent, J.H., and Franklin, S.N., "System Identification of Nonlinear Aerodynamic Models", AGARD-AG-256, Mar. 1982, pp. 7-1 to 7-26.
- Wells, W.R., and Ramachandran, S. , "Multiple Control Input Design for Identification of Light Aircraft", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. AC-22, No. 6, Dec. 1977, pp. 985-987.