This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Installed Reciprocating Engine Cooling Requirements Through Flight Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A flight test procedure has been developed which will provide a systematic means of working cooling installation problems for air-cooled reciprocating engine aircraft. The procedure is based upon the NACA Cooling Correlation analysis which resulted from the radial air-cooled engine development program over forty years ago. The derivation of the method and results from flight test programs to prove the method are reported in this paper.
CitationMiley, S., Ward, D., and Kelley, M., "Determination of Installed Reciprocating Engine Cooling Requirements Through Flight Test," SAE Technical Paper 830718, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830718.
- Miley, S.J., Cross, E.J., Jr., and Lawrence, D.L., "An Experimental Investigation of the Aerodynamics and Cooling of a Horizontally-Opposed Air-Cooled Aircraft Engine Installation," NASA Contractor Report 3405, March, 1981.
- Pinkel, B., "Heat-Transfer Processes in Air-Cooled Engine Cylinders," NACA Report 612, 1938.
- Pinkel, B. and Ellerbrock, H.H., Jr., "Correlation of Cooling Data from an Air-Cooled Cylinder and Several Multi-cylinder Engines," NACA Report 683, 1940.
- Brimley, D.E. and Brevoort, M.J., "Correlation of Engine-Cooling Data," NACA Wartime Report L-685, January, 1945.
- Goldstein, A.W. and Ellerbrock, H.H., Jr., "Compressibility and Heating Effects on Pressure Loss and Cooling of a Baffled Cylinder Barrel," NACA Report 783, 1944.
- Neustein, J. and Schafer, L.J., Jr., "Comparison of Several Methods of Predicting the Pressure Loss at Altitude Across a Baffled Aircraft-Engine Cylinder," NACA Report 858, 1946.
- Jagger, J.M. and Black, F.O., Jr., "A Cooling-Correlation Equation for a Double-Row Radial Engine Based on the Temperature of the Exhaust-Valve Seat," NACA Wartime Report E-201, April, 1945.
- Corson, B.W., Jr., "Application of the Method of Least Squares to Engine-Cooling Analysis," NACA Wartime Report L-130, August, 1944.
- Bussey, L.E., "Fundamentals of Engine Cooling Data Analysis," Army Air Forces Technical Report No. 5457, March, 1946.
- Campbell, K., "Predetermination of Aircraft Engine Cooling Requirements for Specific Flight Conditions," Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 4, February, 1940.
- Richards, W.M.S. and Erdman, F.H., "Prediction of Engine Cooling Requirements," SAE Journal (Transactions), Vol. 53, No. 7, July, 1945.
- Koenig, R.J. and Engelman, H.W., "A Cooling Correlation of the Wright R-2600-B Engine Showing the Effect of Water as an Internal Coolant," NACA Wartime Report E-20, February, 1945.
- Sipko, M.A., Hickel, R.O. and Jones, R.J., "Test-Stand Investigation of Cooling Characteristics and Factors Affecting Temperature Distribution of a Double-Row Radial Aircraft Engine," NACA Wartime Report E-19, March, 1946.
- Neustein, J., Sens, W.H., and Buckner, H.A.Jr., "The Effect of Carburetor-Air Temperature on the Cooling Characteristics of a Typical Air-Cooled Engine Cylinder," NACA Wartime Report E-65, September, 1945.
- Lebir, R.R., Kinghorn, G.F. and Guryansky, E.R., "Cooling Investigation of a B-24D Engine-Nacelle Installation in the NACA Full-Scale Tunnel," NACA Wartime Report L-689, November, 1942.
- Spencer, R.C., Petring, F.W. and Prince, W.R., "Ground-Stand Cooling Investigation of an R-2600-22 Engine in a PBM-30 Nacelle," NACA Wartime Report L-754, January, 1946.
- Marble, F.E., Miller, M.A. and Bell, E.B., "Analysis of Cooling Limitations and Effect of Engine-Cooling Improvements on Level-Flight Cruising Performance of Four-Engine Heavy Bomber," NACA Report 860, 1946.
- Bell, E.B., Morgan, J.E., Disher, J.H. and Mercer, J.R., "Flight Investigation of the Cooling Characteristics of a Two-Row Radial Engine Installation. I-Cooling Correlation," NACA Technical Note 1092, July, 1946.
- Valerino, M.F., Kaufman, S.J. and Hughes, R.F., "Effect of Exhaust Pressure on the Cooling Characteristics of an Air-Cooled Engine," NACA Technical Note 1221, March, 1947.
- Biermann, D. and Corson, B.W., Jr., "Tests of the XSB2D-1 Engine Installation in the 16-Foot High-Speed Tunnel," NACA Memorandum Report, March 2, 1943.
- Wilson, R.W., Richard, P.H. and Brown, K.D., "Correlation of the Characteristics of Single-Cylinder and Flight Engines in Tests of High-Performance Fuels in an Air-Cooled Engine. I-Cooling Characteristics, " NACA Wartime Report E-271, October, 1945.
- Pinkel, B. and Rubert, K.F., "Correlation of Wright Aeronautical Corporation Cooling Data on the R-3350-14 Intermediate Engine and Comparison with Data from the Langley 16-Foot High-Speed Tunnel," NACA Wartime Report E-60, January, 1945.
- Ellerbrock. H.H. Jr. and Bullock, R.O., "Cooling and Performance Tests of a Continental A-75 Engine," NACA Technical Note 816, July, 1941.
- Manganiello, E.J., Valerino, M.F. and Bell, E.B., "High-Altitude Flight Cooling Investigation of a Radial Air-Cooled Engine," NACA Report 873, 1947.
- Marble, F.E., Miller, M.M. and Vensel, J.R., "Effect of NACA Injection Impeller and Ducted Head Baffles on Flight Cooling Performance of Double-Row Radial Engine in Four-Engine Heavy Bomber," NACA Wartime Report E-256, April, 1945.