This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Characteristics of the Spiral Compressor for Automotive Air Conditioning
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
SANDEN CORPORATION (named SANKYO ELECTRIC CO., LTD. prior to September 1982) developed a new automotive air conditioning compressor, the “TR” type, based upon the spiral machine principle. The spiral principle, having been chosen after an elaborate comparative study of several new mechanisms including the vane rotary, the “TR” compressor, proved more than competitive with other types in every criterion.
The design refinement program which followed repeated prototype evaluations, included laboratory tests ranging from regular durability to extreme condition durability, such as low speed-high pressure and low refrigerant/oil charge tests, in addition to field tests in Okinawa Prefecture and other parts of Japan.
CitationTerauchi, K., Tsukagoshi, Y., and Hiraga, M., "The Characteristics of the Spiral Compressor for Automotive Air Conditioning," SAE Technical Paper 830541, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830541.
- Creux, L. “Rotary Engine” U.S. Patent No. 801,182 issued on 3
- Moore R. W., Jr. et al “A Scroll Compressor for Shipboard Helium Liguifier Systems” 1976 Purdue Compressor Technology Conference
- Vess, K. “C Pumps and Spiral Compressor: ANew Generation of Displacement Machines?” Fluid Magazine for Hydraulics and Pneumatics, October 1976 (Munich), or Power 432 436 1977
- Schwed, L. “New Compressor Promises High Efficiency, Smooth Operation” Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Business 1978
- McCullough E. Hirshfeld, F. “The Scroll Machine - An Old Principle with a New Twist” Mechanical Engineering 46 51 1979
- “Air-con Business”, 1980 22 24
- ibid February 1981 30 33
- Journal of The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 85 1982
- Hiraga, M. “The Spiral Compressor - An Innovative Air Conditioning Compressor for the New Generation Automobiles” 1983