This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Local Pressures, Surface Temperatures and Engine Damages under Knock Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The mechanism of surface damage in the combustion chamber of SI-engines is still unknown. More agreement is found in the literature about the theory of knock as an uncontrolled autoignited combustion with high flame velocities followed by pressure oscillations. Although there are many investigations dealing with engine damage, there is still a lack of detailed local information of pressure and temperature histories in the damage zones of the combustion chamber.
In this work four pressure transducers and nine film thermocouples were inserted in a single cylinder engine with Heron type production combustion chamber and high compression ratio.
The data obtained from cylinder pressure and combustion chamber surface temperature traces were registered synchronously with the Volkswagen high-speed data acquisition system HDS and analyzed with an on-line computer.
Surface damage development was studied on a four cylinder production engine under conditions similar to those of the single cylinder engine measurements. Furthermore ideas how to avoid these damages are discussed.
|Technical Paper||Development of a Multi-Sensors Head Gasket for Knock Localization|
|Technical Paper||Squish Velocity in the Combustion Chamber of a 2-Stroke Cycle Engine|
|Technical Paper||A Contribution to Knock Statistics|
CitationLee, W. and Schaefer, H., "Analysis of Local Pressures, Surface Temperatures and Engine Damages under Knock Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 830508, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830508.
- Clark D. Trans. Faraday Soc 22 338 1926
- Lee W. Schaefer H.J. Verbrauchsreduzierung am Ottomotor durch Optimi-erung von Brennraumform und Verdichtungsverha-eltnis MTZ 4 1982 7
- Oetting H. Beitrag zur Erscheinung des Klopfens in Ottomotoren Doctorate Thesis TU Braunschweig 1968
- Leppard W.R. Individual-Cylinder Knock Occurrence and Intensity in Multicylinder Engines SAE-Paper 820074 Febr 1982
- Chiampo P. Christofaro F.de Gozzelino R. Relationship of Flame Front Pattern to Pressure and High-Speed Knock on Commercial Engines SAE-Paper 730087 Jan. 1973
- Woschni G. Fieger J. Experimentelle Untersuchungen zum Waermeueber-gang bei normaler und klopfender Verbrennung im Ottomotor MTZ 43 1982 2
- Trapy J. Measuring Heat Transfers in Engines Operating with Knocking JRC Combustion Seminar Paris Dec. 16th 1981
- Cornetti G.M. Cristofaro, F. de Gozzelino R. Engine Failure and High Speed Knock SAE-Paper 770047 Febr. 1977
- Betz G. Ellermann J. Knock-Related Piston Damage in Gasoline Engines, Knock Measurement Technique, Aspects of of Piston Failure Prevention International VW-Symposium “Knocking of Combustion Engines” Nov. 1981 Wolfsburg Germany
- Essig G. Piston Loading at Knocking Combustion (Detonation) International VW-Symposium “Knocking of Combustion Engines” Nov. 1981 Wolfsburg Germany
- Loehner K. Mueller H. Gemischbildung und Verbrennung im Ottomotor Springer Verlag Wien und New York 1967
- Spescha G. Volle G. Piezoelektrische Messgeraete Kistler Instrumente AG Winterthur Switzerland
- Essig G. Schellmann K. Wacker E. Piston Loading under Knocking Combustion 19th Intl. FISITA Congress 1982 Melbourne