This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Conditions Required to Avoid Being Killed in Cars in Side Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One studies the conditions in which occurred side impacts having led to death of 369 car occupants. This sample is representative of the population of fatal collisions having occurred on French roads, in 1980.
28 % of killed were victims of collisions against another private car, 34 % struck a fixed obstacle, 21 % undergone a collision against a truck. The other types of collisions account for 17%.
The performances to be reached in order to spare an important number of victims are of a high level. This is measured in function of the distribution of impact violences and occupants' ages.
- C. Got - I.R.B.A. Hôpital Raymond Poincaré, (France)
- A. Patel - I.R.B.A. Hôpital Raymond Poincaré, (France)
- J. Y. Foret-Bruno - Laboratoire de Physiologie et de Biornecanique Peugeot S.A./Renauit, (France)
- F. Hartemann - Laboratoire de Physiologie et de Biornecanique Peugeot S.A./Renauit, (France)
- C. Tarrière - Laboratoire de Physiologie et de Biornecanique Peugeot S.A./Renauit, (France)
CitationForet-Bruno, J., Hartemann, F., Tarrière, C., Got, C. et al., "Conditions Required to Avoid Being Killed in Cars in Side Impact," SAE Technical Paper 830461, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830461.
- J.Y. Foret-Bruno, F. Hartemann, C. Thomas, C. Tarriere, B. Loyat, G. Stcherbat-cheff, C. Got, A. Patel, “Occupant Velocity Change in Side Impact. Method of Calculation. Application to a Sample of Real-World Crashes” SAE paper 80 1308 1980
- Hedlund, J.H. “The National Crash Severity Study and its Relationship to ESV Design Criteria” 7th International Technical Conference on ESV, Paris 1979
- Program Plan for Coordinated Side Impact Test Procedure Development”, N.H.T.S.A. and M.V.M.A. of the United States, January 1982.
- Provensal J. Stcherbatcheff, G. “Identofication of Compatibility Factors in Side Collisions” 8th International Technical Conference on E.S.V., Wolfsburg 1980
- Burgett, A. “Status Program for Improving Side Impact crash Protection” 8th International Technical Conference on ESV, Wolfsburg 1980