This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of a Porous Ceramic Particulate Trap on the Physical, Chemical and Biological Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Physical, chemical, and biological characterization data for the particulate emissions from a Caterpillar 3208 diesel engine with and without Corning porous ceramic particulate traps are presented. Measurements made at EPA modes 3,4,5,9,lO and 11 include total hydrocarbon, oxides of nitrogen and total particulate matter emissions including the solid fraction (SOL), soluble organic fraction (SOF) and sulfate fraction (SO4), Chemical character was defined by fractionation of the SOF while biological character was defined by analysis of Ames Salmonella/ microsome bioassay data.
The trap produced a wide range of total particulate reduction efficiencies (0-97%) depending on the character of the particulate. The chemical character of the SOF was significantly changed through the trap as was the biological character. The mutagenic specific activity of the SOF was generally increased through the trap but this was offset by a decrease in SOF mass emissions. Some extremely biologically active subfractions were found at mode 4 with the Corning trap, NO2 emissions and HC emissions were generally decreased through the trap.
A computer performance model based on membrane filter theory was used to explain the solid particulate filtering efficiency data. The model showed how key variables influence particulate trapping efficiency.
CitationMiller, P., Scholl, J., Bagley, S., Leddy, D. et al., "The Effects of a Porous Ceramic Particulate Trap on the Physical, Chemical and Biological Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 830457, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830457.
- Wade, W.R. “Light-Duty Diesel NO X - HC -Particulate Tradeoff Studies” SAE Paper 800355 1980
- Yu, R.C. Shahed, S.M. “Effects of Injection Timing and Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Emissions from a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 811234 1981
- Plee, S.L. Ahmad, T. Myers, J.P. “Flame Temperature Correlation for the Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Par ticulate and NO X Emissions” SAE Paper 811195 1981
- Campbell, J. Scholl, J. Hibbler, F. Bagley, S. Leddy, D. Abata, D. Johnson, J. “The Effect of Fuel Injection Rate and Timing on the Physical, Chemical, and Biological Character of Particulate Emissions from a Direct Injection Diesel” SAE Paper 810996 , Transactions 1981
- Environmental Protection Agency, “Standard for Emission of Particulate Regulation for Diesel-Fueled Light-Duty Vehicles and Light-Duty Trucks”, Federal Register 45 45 5
- Environmental Protection Agency, “Control of Air Pollution from New Motor Vehicle Engines: Particulate Regulation for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines”, Federal Register 46 4 7
- Hunter, G. Scholl, J. Hibbler, F. Bagley, S. Leddy, D. Abata, D. Johnson, J. “The Effect of an Oxidation Catalyst on the Physical, Chemical, and Biological Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions” SAE Paper No. 810263 , Transactions 1981
- Oh, S.H. MacDonald, J.S. Vaneman, G.L. Hegedus, L.L. “Mathematical Modeling of Fibrous Filters for Diesel Particulates -Theory and Experiment” SAE Paper No. 810113 , International Congress and Exposition 1981
- Howitt J.S. Montierth, M.R. “Cellular Ceramic Diesel Particulate Filter” SAE Paper No. 810114 , International Congress and Exposition 1981
- NGK Insulators, Ltd., Mizuko, Nagoyo, Japan, TR No. 81-SC-098, June 5, 1981.
- Personal Communication, P. Coates, Technical Ceramic Resources, 3M Company, 1981.
- Lipkea, W.H. Johnson J.H. Vuk, C.T. “The Physical and Chemical Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions - Measurement Techniques and Fundamental Considerations” SAE Paper 780108 , Transactions 1978
- Vuk, C.T. Jones M.A. Johnson, J.H. “The Measurement and Analysis of the Physical Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions” SAE Paper No. 760131 , Transactions 1976
- Funkenbusch, E.F. Leddy D.G. Johnson, J.H. “The Characterization of the Soluble Organic Fraction of Diesel Particulate Matter” SAE Paper No. 790418 , Transactions 1979
- Hibbler, F.J. “Quantification of Ames Salmonella /Microsome Assay System Variables", Masters Thesis, Michigan Technological University, Biological Sciences Department 1982
- Rosenkranz, H.S. “Direct-acting Mutagens in Disel Exhausts: Magnitude of the Problem” Mutation Research 101 1-10
- Miller, P.R. “A Study of Close-Coupled Exhaust Port Catalysts and Ceramic Particulate Traps for Diesel Emission Control, MS Thesis, Michigan Technological University 1982
- Clerc J.C. Johnson, J.H. “A Computer Heat Transfer and Hydrocarbon Adsorption Model for Predicting Diesel Particulate Emissions in Dilution Tunnels” SAE Paper NO. 821218 , Presented at SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Toronto 18-21
- Gibson, K.L. Ricci A.J. Williams, R.L. “Measurement of Polynuclear Aromatic Hydro carbons, Their Derivatives and Their Reactivity in Diesel Automobile General Motors Research Laboratories Publication GMR-3478 1980
- Ahmad, T. “Effect of Particulates on the Measurement of Oxides of Nitrogen in Diesel Exhaust” SAE Paper No. 800189 , International Congress and Exposition 25-29
- Dean, D.L. “Processing Pollution into Product” J. Chem. Education 59 1982
- Khatri, N.J. Johnson J.H. Leddy, D.G. “The Characterization of the Hydrocarbon and Sulfate Fraction of Diesel Particulate Matter” SAE Paper No. 780111 , Transactions 1978
- Pitts, J.N. Jr Van Cauwenberghe, K.A. Grosjean, D. Schmid, J.P. Fits, D.R. Belser, W.L. Jr Krudson, G.B. Hynds, P.M. “Atmospheric Reactions of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons: Facile Formations of Mutagenic Nitro Derivatives” Science 202 1979
- Bradow, R.L. Zweidinger, R.B. Black, F.M. Dietzmann, H.M. “Sampling Diesel Engine Particle and Artifacts from Nitrogen Oxide Interactions SAE Paper No. 820182 1982
- Saito, T. Tokura N. Katoh, T. “Analysis of Factors Affecting the Formation of Major Mutagenic Substances in Diesel Particulate Extracts” SAE Paper No. 821244 , Presented at SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Toronto, Canada 18-21
- Orr, C. “Filtration - Principles and Practices” Part I, Harcel Dekker, Inc., New York and Basel 1977
- Davies, C.N. “Air Filtration” Academic Press, London and New York 1973
- C.N. Davies (Editor), “Aerosol Science” Academic Press, London and New York 1966
- Mogaka, Z.N. Wong, V.W. Shahed, S.M. “Performance and Regeneration Characteristics of a Cellular Ceramic Diesel Particulate Trap” SAE Paper No. 820272 , International Congress and Exposition 1982