This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Stability Sensor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It has been proved from many studies and applications that, to improve fuel economy, is necessary to operate near lean limit without exceeding it, to avoid unstable engine running and resulting car surging. On this purpose, besides a precise and flexible control system, an engine stability sensor, to adopt closed loop control strategies, is needed. A research has been carried out on different measurement methodologies with the aim of developing a reliable and low cost stability sensor to be used on production cars. For this reason sensors yet applied in automotive field, like accelerometer and pick-up or oriented to this application, like ring pressure sensors, have been used. As basis of comparison the cyclic dispersion,measured with a pressure sensor inside the combustion chamber, has been considered.
CitationMortara, W. and Canta, C., "Engine Stability Sensor," SAE Technical Paper 830428, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830428.
- Everett R.L. “Measuring vehicle driveability” SAE 710137
- Guignard J.C. ȜEvaluating Human Exposure to Vibrationȝ SAE 730793
- Amano , Nakada , Kobayashi , “An approach to evaluate vehicle driveability through engine dynamometer testing” ISATA 1974
- Nohira , Konomi , Ishiyama , “Analysis on cycle-by-cycle variation of combustion from pressure indicator data” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 1 1980
- Young , “Cyclic dispersion-Some quantitative cause and effect relationships” SAE 800459
- Kuroda , Nakajima , Sugihara , Takagi , Muranaka , “The fast burn with heavy EGR; new approach for low NO X and improved fuel economy” SAE 780006
- Latsch , Mansner , Bianchi , “Experiences with a new method for measuring the engine roughness” ISATA 1978
- Randall , ȜA cylinder pressure sensor for spark advance control and knock detection” SAE 790139
- Johnson, W.J. Rado, W.G. ȜEngine performance evaluation using a combustion probe signal analyzer” IEEE Transactions on vehicular technology 1977
- Bradley , Ibrahim , ȜElectrostatic probe theories and measurements in flame plasmasȝ J. Phys. D. Appl. Phys 6 1973
- Arrigoni , Calvi , Cornetti, Pozzi, ȜTurbulent flame structure as determined by pressure development and ionization intensity” SAE 730088